GM13 >> UALR (1-11-0, 0-4-0 SBC) at South Alabama (6-6-1, 1-2-0 SBC)
Friday, Oct. 5 • 7 PM (CST)
Mobile, Ala. • The Cage
Live Stats: USAJaguars.com
GM14 >> UALR at Troy (5-7-1, 0-3-0 SBC)
Sunday, Oct. 7 • 1 PM (CST)
Troy, Ala. • Jesse H. Colley Track/Soccer Complex
Live Stats: TroyTrojans.com
• UALR (1-11-0, 0-4-0 SBC) remains winless in Sun Belt Conference play after consecutive 1-0 losses to Louisiana and ULM last weekend at the Coleman Complex.
• The Trojans played one of their best defensive games of the season Friday night against Louisiana, limiting the Cajuns to 22 total shots and just eight shots on goal. UL connected on the game-winner in the 81st minute shortly after one of their 10 second-half corner kicks.
• UALR played well again on Sunday, outshooting ULM, 17-10, and leading in corner kicks by a 5-3 margin. ULM grabbed the lead after a UALR miscue led to a Karlea Fehr goal at the 56:02 mark, and the Trojans were unable to find the equalizer over the final 34 minutes.
• One positive from the weekend was the play of freshman goalkeeper Shantel Wittke. Wittke started both matches and played all 180 minutes, made 14 total saves and compiled a .875 save percentage in the two matches.
• Sophomores Ariel Galletti and Alyson Rohane led the Trojans in shots on the weekend. Galletti put up seven total shots, while Rohane finished the weekend with six.
• UALR's 17 shots against ULM were its second-highest single-game total of the season.
ABOUT SOUTH ALABAMA
2012 Record: 6-6-1, 1-2-0 SBC
2012 Home Record: 4-2-1
Head Coach: Mike Varga (14th year)
Career Record: 194-153-30
Record at USA: 119-127-24
Points: Kristyn Thacker (8)
Goals: Kristyn Thacker (4)
Assists: Three tied (2)
Shots: Clarissa Hernandez (32)
Saves: Lauren Arnold (36)
• South Alabama enters Friday's contest with a 6-6-1 overall record and a 1-2-0 mark in conference play. The Jaguars are coming off a 4-0 loss at North Texas on Sunday, Sept. 28.
• Like UALR, offense has been at a premium for South Alabama through the first half of the season. UALR (7) and USA (11) currently sport the lowest and second-lowest goal-scoring totals in the SBC.
• Kristyn Thacker leads the Jaguars in goals (4) and points (8), despite putting up just 11 shots on the season. Clarissa Hernandez leads the team with 36 shots and has tallied two goals and two assists.
• In goal, South Alabama's Lauren Arnold has played the majority of the minutes, with teammate Melissa Drish seeing action in five matches. Arnold has stopped 36 shots on the year and allowed 17 goals for a .679 save percentage. Arnold and Drish have combined for five shutouts on the year.
• USA's defense has allowed 27 goals (1.77 per game) this year, ranking them seventh in the Sun Belt.
• The Jaguars have shown themselves to be a second-half team, with nine of their 11 goals having come in the second halves or overtime periods of matches this season.
• South Alabama has squared off with a couple mutual opponents of the Trojans in their non-conference schedule. USA defeated Austin Peay by a 1-0 score in double overtime (9/14) and forced a 1-1 tie with Louisiana Tech (9/9).
• Last year, South Alabama defeated UALR by a 3-1 score in Mobile, Ala. Sophomore Alyson Rohane scored the Trojans' lone goal in the match.
2012 Record: 5-7-1, 0-3-0 SBC
2012 Home Record: 2-4-1
Head Coach: Chris Bentley (5th year)
Career Record: 42-45-7
Record at Troy: 42-45-7
Points: Cecilia Thorngren (15)
Goals: Chelsey Williams (5)
Assists: Cecilia Thorngren (7)
Shots: Chelsey Williams (36)
Saves: Maddie Winter (45)
• The Troy Trojans currently sit at 5-7-1 overall and 0-3-0 in Sun Belt Conference play. Troy and UALR are the only teams in the Sun Belt without a win in league play.
• After starting the season 5-2-1, Troy has dropped its last five matches, including SBC matchups with Florida Atlantic, FIU and North Texas.
• The Trojans' offense has put up 17 goals on the season and is led by Chelsey Williams (5 goals, 3 assists) and Cecilia Thorngren (4 goals, 7 assists). Thorngren's 15 points tie her for sixth in the Sun Belt.
• The Troy defense has surrendered 27 goals on the year, ranking them next to the bottom in the conference.
• Goalkeeper Maddie Winter has started 10 matches, appeared in 11 and leads Troy with 45 saves on the year. Winter and Katie Comeno-Lewis have split the minutes in goal this season, with Comeno-Lewis contributing 36 saves in 10 matches and three starts.
• Troy holds a 4-3-0 advantage all-time in matches against UALR, including a 2-2-0 mark in games played at Troy.
• Last year, Troy blanked UALR by a 2-0 score in Troy, Ala. Alissa Jones and Chelsey Williams scored goals for Troy.
• The UALR offense has struggled to find its footing through the first 12 matches and currently ranks last in the Sun Belt in points (19), goals (7) and assists (5).
• The Trojans have yet to score a goal in Sun Belt play, with their last score coming against UAPB on Sept. 9. UALR has been outscored 16-0 in its five matches since.
• UALR has been shutout in eight of its 12 matches this season.
• Sunday's match against ULM showed signs of improvement for the offense. Though they did not score a goal, the Trojans did put up 17 shots, their second-highest output of the season.
• Junior Adrianna Queen saw her first action of the season last weekend at home against Louisiana and ULM. Queen missed the first 10 games of the season due to an offseason injury.
• The Las Vegas, Nev.-native put up one shot in 43 minutes of action Friday night against Louisiana, and then had two shots in 50 minutes on Sunday against ULM.
• Queen led the Trojans in points (16) and goals (7) as a freshman in 2010 before scoring two goals and collecting one assist in 2011. Queen ranks sixth on UALR's all-time list with four game-winners, while her nine career goals are 15th in school history.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
• Freshman Shantel Wittke started both matches and played every minute for the Trojans in their matches against Louisiana and ULM last weekend.
• Wittke finished the weekend with 14 saves, seven in both contests, and a .875 save percentage.
• The Tucson, Ariz.-native currently ranks third in the Sun Belt and 52nd in the nation with 61 saves on the season.
• Wittke's save percentage (.718) now ranks 11th in the Sun Belt and has improved steadily over the course of the season.
• Despite lining up on defense, senior Jenna Brady has totaled three points on the season after scoring the first goal of her UALR career in the Trojans' 4-0 win over UAPB. Brady provided an assist on Alyson Rohane's goal against Western Illinois on Aug. 26.
• Sophomores Alyson Rohane and Ariel Galletti are leading UALR on offense through its first twelve matches, combining for four goals and three assists. Rohane leads the Trojans in shots (28) and shots on goal (13), while Galletti ranks second in both categories with 23 and ten, respectively. Galletti led the Trojans in points (9) and tied for the team lead in goals (4) as a freshman, while Rohane scored two goals and supplied a team-best four assists in 2011.
• Junior Ashley Barksdale, a first-year transfer player from Memphis, also scored her first goal as a Trojan against UAPB. Barksdale has made an instant impact since returning to her hometown, starting 11 of 12 matches while putting seven of ten shots on target for a .700 shots-on-goal percentage.
• Freshman Ashley Asuncion collected an assist on teammate Ariel Galletti's score in the 68th minute of UALR's match against UAPB (9/9) for the first point of her UALR career. Asuncion is the only UALR freshman to have started all twelve matches this season.
• Junior Paige Mason, has scored one goal on the year (at UCA, 9/5) and ranks third on the team in both shots (15) and is tied for third in shots on goal (8). Mason has started all twelve matches this season.
• Senior Olivia Carrasco has anchored the Trojans' defense through the first 12 matches, playing a team-high 1,018 minutes - 84.8 per contest.
• Sophomore Betsy Blackwood (895 minutes), senior Jenna Brady (984), junior Ashley Barksdale (945) and freshman Ashley Asuncion (890) have all logged heavy minutes on the defensive end of the field for the Trojans.
• UALR shows up at No. 290 in the second RPI poll of the 2012 season. South Alabama and Troy show up at No. 200 and No. 206, respectively, in the poll. North Texas leads all Sun Belt teams at No. 65.