GM3 // UALR (1-1) at Ole Miss (2-0)
Friday, Nov. 16, 2012 • 7 PM (CST)
Oxford, Miss. • C.M. "Tad" Smith Coliseum (9,061)
Radio: KABZ - 103.7 FM
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP)
Live Video: OleMissSports.com
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Series (Overall): Ole Miss leads 2-0
Series (at Oxford): Ole Miss leads 1-0
Current Streak: Ole Miss, 2 wins
Last Meeting: L, 70-84 (12/11/10)
Shields Record vs. Ole Miss: 0-2
2012-13 Record: 1-1
Road Record: 0-1
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 148-129
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: John Gillon (14.5)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (7.5)
Assists: Josh Hagins (3.0)
Steals: Taggart Lockhart (2.0)
Blocks: Michael Javes (2.0)
Ole Miss Rebels
2012-13 Record: 2-0
Home Record: 2-0
Head Coach: Andy Kennedy (7th year)
Record at Ole Miss: 127-78
Career Record: 148-91
Ole Miss Statistical Leaders
Points: Marshall Henderson (24.5)
Rebounds: Murphy Holloway (11.5)
Assists: Jarvis Summers (3.5)
Steals: Buckner/Millinghaus (2.5)
Blocks: Reginald Buckner (2.0)
• UALR sits at 1-1 overall after falling by a 70-52 final score at Louisiana Tech on Wednesday, Nov. 14 at the Thomas Athletic Center in Ruston, La.
• Sophomore Ben Dillard led all UALR players with 11 points on 4-of-7 shooting at Louisiana Tech.
• Sophomore Taggart Lockhart scored 10 points (2-for-3 3FG, 4-for-4 FT) to give the Trojans two players in double figures.
• The Bulldogs pressure defense forced the Trojans into 19 turnovers and limited UALR to 30.4 percent shooting (17-for-56) from the floor.
• UALR's defense did its part, holding Louisiana Tech to 36.1 percent (22-for-31) shooting from the field, including just 30.8 percent (4-of-21) from behind the three-point arc.
• The Trojans are holding opponents to 38.4 percent shooting from the field through two games.
• Sophomore Michael Javes has blocked two shots in each of the Trojans' first two games. Javes now has 13 multi-block games in his career (32 games).
• Preseason First Team All-SBC selection Will Neighbour is averaging 9.5 points and a team-best 7.5 rebounds on 42.1 percent shooting. Neighbour recorded his third career double-double (13 points, 13 rebounds) in the season opener against UT Martin (11/9/12).
• UALR enters Friday's game shooting 73.5 percent (36-for-49) from the foul line.
Louisiana Tech Recap
• UALR fell by a 70-52 score at Louisiana Tech on Wednesday night to drop their overall record to 1-1 on the season.
• Louisiana Tech scored 24 points off 19 UALR turnovers and held advantages in points in the paint (34-18), second-chance points (16-15), fast break points (4-2) and bench scoring (22-14).
• Cordarius Johnson led the offensive charge for the Bulldogs, totaling 17 points on 7-of-11 shooting from the field and 2-of-3 shooting from behind the three-point arc.
• Kenneth Smith had six of Louisiana Tech's 11 steals on the night.
• Sophomores Ben Dillard (11) and Taggart Lockhart (10) were the only two Trojans to reach double figures in scoring.
About Ole Miss
• Ole Miss sits at 2-0 on the season with wins over Mississippi Valley State and Coastal Carolina to their credit.
• The Rebels are averaging 91.5 points per game and have beaten their two opponents by an average of 27.0 points. Ole Miss topped MVSU, 93-57, and beat Coastal Carolina by a final of 90-72.
• Junior Marshall Henderson is averaging a team-best 24.5 points per game after scoring 27 and 22, respectively against Coastal Carolina and MVSU. Marshall has knocked down a team-high 11 three pointers and is shooting 45 percent (11-for-24) from long range.
• Senior forward Murphy Holloway is the only other Rebel averaging double figures (15.0 ppg) and leads the team at 11.5 rebounds per contest.
All-Time Against the Rebels
• UALR is 0-2 all-time against Ole Miss.
• The last time these two teams played, Ole Miss handed the Trojans their first homecourt loss of the 2010-11 season at the Jack Stephens Center by an 84-70 final (12/11/10).
• Ole Miss beat UALR by a 92-64 final in the teams' only other meeting (11/13/09).
• The Trojans are 0-5 under head coach Steve Shields against SEC schools.
• Freshman John Gillon led the Trojans with 22 points off the bench in his UALR debut against UT Martin (11/9/12).
• Gillon's 22 points are the most by a UALR freshman in in his college debut since the Trojans moved to Division I in 1979.
• That record was previously held by UALR's all-time leading scorer, James Scott, who scored 19 in an 88-102 loss to Purdue to start the 1987-88 season.
• Gillon's 22 were helped by a 10-of-11 performance from the foul line and knocking down 2-of-3 shots from three-point range.
• Gillon also grabbed three rebounds, dished out three assists and came up with one steal to fill out his stat line for the night.
• Junior Will Neighbour tallied the third double-double of his career with a 13-point, 13-rebound performance against UT Martin (11/9).
• Neighbour's 13 boards (2 offensive, 11 defensive) were a career best.
• Neighbour was named Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt in a vote of the league's coaches.
• Neighbour earned Second Team All-Sun Belt honors as a sophomore in 2011-12 despite battling a torn labrum in his shoulder throughout the second half of the season.
• The 6-10 forward played in 29 games with 18 starts during the 2011-12 season, ranking second on the team in scoring (10.5 ppg) and rebounding (5.3 rpg), while leading the Trojans in three-point shooting (41.3 percent) and made three pointers (43).
• Neighbour ranked seventh in the Sun Belt in three-point field goal percentage (41.3) and free-throw percentage (81.5) in 2011-12.
• Had two double-doubles as a freshman: an 11-point, 12-rebound effort at Michigan State (11/20/11), and 19 points and 11 rebounds in a win at North Texas (12/29/11).
• Has now scored in double figures 16 times in his career and has led the Trojans in scoring on nine separate occasions.
• Sophomore Michael Javes has blocked two shots in each of UALR's first two games to give him 13 multi-block games in his career.
• Javes ranked sixth in the Sun Belt and led the Trojans with 44 blocked shots (1.5 bpg) in the 2011-12 season.
• The Cali, Colombia-native had six games with three-or-more blocked shots in 2011-12, including a season-high five against IUPUI (Nov. 15) and Arkansas State (Jan. 14).
• Javes played in 30 games with 23 starts as a true freshman, averaging 5.0 points and 4.2 rebounds per game.
• He made 14 starts in league play and saw his numbers rise to 5.7 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game over 21.9 minutes against conference opponents.
• A major key to the Trojans' development this season will be their ability to replace All-Sun Belt point guard D'Andre Williams (2010-12). Williams led the team in points (13.2 ppg), assists (3.9) and steals (1.7 spg) as a senior.
• Freshman Josh Hagins has started both games at point guard for UALR this season and has averaged 3.5 point, 3.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 14.5 minutes per game.
• Freshman John Gillon has played heavy miuntes off the bench and is averaging 14.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists in 12.0 minutes of work.
Size to Spare
• In addition to Neighbour, Javez and Leeper, all of which stand 6-10, the Trojans' roster features three more players standing 6-7 or taller.
• Freshman Andrew Poulter (6-11, 282 lbs.), redshirt freshman James White (6-8, 215 lbs.) and freshman Mareik Isom (6-7, 193 lbs.) give UALR a total of six players that measure 6-7 or taller on their current roster.
Getting Better With Age
• Sophomore Taggart Lockhart is averaging a team-high 30.5 minutes through the first two games of the season after averaging 15.5 minutes as a freshman in 2011-12.
• Thanks in part to his increased minutes. Lockhart is averaging 10.0 points and 6.0 rebounds per contest, up from 3.4 points and 2.4 rebounds in his freshman season. He is averaging a team-best 2.0 steals per game.
• Lockhart started and played a career-high 35 minutes in UALR's season opener against UT Martin and set new career highs in free throws made (5) and attempted (8).
• In 26 minutes at Louisiana Tech, Lockhart set new career highs in steals (3) and rebounds (8).
• Sophomore Ben Dillard has seen his minutes per game increase from 14.4 as a freshman to 22.5 through two games in 2012-13.
• Dillard is averaging 10.0 points per game through two games, up from 4.7 ppg a year ago.
• Dillard tied a career high with four made field goals against UT Martin, and set a new career best with 10 field goals attempted.
• Dillard appeared in all 31 games, made six starts and scored in double figures on six occasions as a freshman.
The Small Screen
• The league office unveiled its television package for the 2012-13 season, which includes a potential ESPN2 game for the Trojans.
• UALR's game at North Texas on Jan. 26 has been selected as a Wildcard game by ESPN. As the date draws closer, ESPN will elect to televise either the game between UALR and North Texas, or Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee.
• The Sun Belt Network will visit the JSC on Jan. 12 to televise the game between UALR and FIU at 3:30 p.m.
• Sun Belt Network games are carried by Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) and Cox Sports Television (CST), and will likely be available through ESPN3 and ESPN's Full Court package.
• The Trojans also have a television game lined up at Cincinnati on Dec. 6 (Fox Sports Ohio), as well as an ESPN3 game against Middle Tennessee on Jan. 17 in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• UALR has been picked to finish third in the Sun Belt's West Division in a preseason poll of the coaches.
• Sophomore Will Neighbour was selected to the Preseason All-SBC First Team.
• North Texas received all 11 first-place votes as the preseason pick to win the West. Middle Tennessee received all 11 first-place votes as the choice to win the East Division.
• Sophomore Tony Mitchell from North Texas is the Preseason Player of the Year.
• UALR will return home for two games against Milwaukee (Monday, Nov. 19) and Jacksonville (Wednesday, Nov. 21) as part of the Hoops for Hope Classic.
• The Trojans will then travel to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to continue the Hoops for Hope Classic with a game against SMU (Nov. 24) before playing either Missouri State or South Carolina on Nov. 25.