GM4 // UALR (1-2) vs Milwaukee (2-1)
Monday, Nov. 19, 2012 • 7 PM (CST)
Little Rock, Ark. • Jack Stephens Center (5,600)
Radio: KABZ - 103.7 FM
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP) & Pat Bradley (Analyst)
Live Video: UALRTrojans.com
Live Stats: UALRTrojans.com
2012-13 Record: 1-2
Home Record: 1-0
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 148-130
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: John Gillon (14.3)
Rebounds: James White (6.3)
Assists: Josh Hagins (2.7)
Steals: Will Neighbour (1.7)
Blocks: Michael Javes (1.7)
2012-13 Record: 2-1
Road Record: 0-1
Head Coach: Rob Jeter (8th year)
Record at UWM: 123-103
Career Record: Same
Milwaukee Statistical Leaders
Points: Jordan Aaron (21.0)
Rebounds: James Haarsma (7.7)
Assists: Jordan Aaron (5.3)
Steals: Thierno Niang (1.7)
Blocks: Kyle Helm (1.3)
• UALR will be looking to snap a two-game losing skid when it hosts Milwaukee as part of the Hoops for Hope Classic at the Jack Stephens Center on Monday at 7 p.m.
• Ole Miss handed the Trojans their second loss of the season on Friday, Nov. 16 at Thomas Assembly Center in Oxford, Miss., by a 92-52 final score.
• Leading 47-33 at halftime, the Rebels came out of intermission and went on a 26-to-4 run over the first nine minutes of the second half to put the game out of reach.
• Monday night's game against Milwaukee will be the Trojans' first in the Jack Stephens Center since their season-opening win over UT Martin on Nov. 9.
• Through their first three games, the Trojans are averaging 62.7 points per game and shooting 35.4 percent from the field.
• UALR was outrebounded for the first time this season in its loss at Ole Miss (47-to-34) and for the season is virtually even with its opponents with a -0.3 rebounding margin (116-to-117).
• Defensively, the Trojans are surrendering 76.7 points per game and are averaging 7.3 steals and 4.0 blocks per contest.
• Freshman John Gillon leads UALR in scoring (14.3 ppg) 3FG% (46.2) and FT% (86.7), and is second on the team with a 44.4 field goal percentage.
Ole Miss Recap
• Ole Miss defeated UALR by a 92-52 final score Friday night at Thomas Assembly Center in Oxford, Miss.
• Fueled by four points each from Michael Javes and Will Neighbour, the Trojans raced out to a 10-3 lead to open the game. Ole Miss answered with 13-straight points to retake the lead and eventually built a 14-point lead, 47-33, at halftime.
• Ole Miss came out of intermission with a 26-to-4 run to go up 73-37 and effectively put the game out of reach.
• The Rebels finished the night with five players in double figures, led by 19 points from Derrick Millinghaus, helped by a 9-of-11 effort from the foul line.
• Junior college transfer Marshall Henderson knocked down 5-of-10 three point tries to finish with 17 points, and Reginald Buckner finished with 10 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks in 21 minutes.
• John Gillon led UALR with 14 points on 5-of-11 shooting, including 3-of-7 from long range, in his first career start.
• Freshman James White continued his strong start to the season, finishing with nine points, seven rebounds, two blocks and two steals in a career-high 30 minutes.
• Ole Miss became the first opponent to outrebound UALR this season, finishing the night with a +13 edge (47-to-34) on the boards.
• The Rebels finished the night shooting 52.4 percent (33-for-63) from the field and held the Trojans to a season-low 29.7 percent (19-for-64) effort from the field.
• Milwaukee enters Monday's matchup at 2-1 overall with wins over University of Mary and Davidson to their credit. The Panters fell in overtime at South Carolina for their only loss of the season.
• Milwaukee is averaging 74.7 points per game through three games and is shooting 41.4 percent from the field and 41.5 percent from behind the three-point line.
• The Panthers are averaging 11.3 three pointers per game and have four players in their lineup shooting 40 percent or better from long range.
• Junior guard Jordan Aaron leads the team in points (21.0 ppg) and assists (5.3 apg) and is shooting 48.0 percent (12-of-25) from behind the three-point stripe.
• Aaron is one of two Milwaukee players averaging double-figures in scoring (Kyle Kelm at 10.3 ppg is the other), but the Panthers have a total of six players averaging at least seven points per game.
All-Time Against the Panthers
• Milwaukee leads 2-1 in the all-time series between the two teams.
• The Panthers came back from a three-point halftime deficit to beat UALR 59-54 last year at the Jack Stephens Center (11/26/11).
• Milwaukee knocked down 12 three pointers in the win and were led by James Haarsma, who finished with 17 points on 6-of-9 shooting.
• UALR's Will Neighbour led the Trojans with 15 points, eight rebounds and three blocks in the loss.
• Last year's game featured 18 lead changes and seven tie scores.
• Freshman John Gillon leads UALR in scoring (14.3 ppg), three-point shooting (46.2 percent, 6-of-13) and free throw shooting (86.7 percent, 13-for-15) through the first three games of the season.
• Gillon's 22 points against UT Martin (11/9/12) were the most by a UALR freshman in their college debut since the Trojans moved to Division I in 1979.
• That record was previously held by UALR's all-time leading scorer, James Scott, who scored 19 in an 88-102 loss to Purdue to start the 1987-88 season.
•Making his first career start at Ole Miss, Gillon scored a team-high 14 points and knocked down 3-of-7 three-point tries in a season-high 27 minutes.
• Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt selection Will Neighbour collected the third double-double of his career with a 13-point, 13-rebound performance against UT Martin (11/9/12).
• Neighbour's 13 boards (2 offensive, 11 defensive) against UTM were a career best.
• Neighbour earned Second Team All-Sun Belt honors as a sophomore in 2011-12.
• The 6-10 forward played in 29 games with 18 starts during the 2011-12 season, ranking second on the team in scoring (10.5 ppg) and rebounding (5.3 rpg), while leading the Trojans in three-point shooting (41.3 percent) and made three pointers (43).
• Neighbour ranked seventh in the Sun Belt in three-point field goal percentage (41.3) and free-throw percentage (81.5) in 2011-12.
• Has now scored in double figures 16 times in his career and has led the Trojans in scoring on nine separate occasions.
• Sophomore Michael Javes leads UALR with five blocked shots through three games this season.
• Javes now has 49 blocks in 33 career games with 13 multi-block games in that span.
• Javes has blocked at least one shot in 11-straight games and has blocked a shot in 26 of 33 career games.
• Javes ranked sixth in the Sun Belt and led the Trojans with 44 blocked shots (1.5 bpg) in the 2011-12 season.
• The Cali, Colombia-native had six games with three-or-more blocked shots in 2011-12, including a season-high five against IUPUI (Nov. 15) and Arkansas State (Jan. 14).
• Javes played in 30 games with 23 starts as a true freshman, averaging 5.0 points and 4.2 rebounds per game.
• A major key to the Trojans' development this season will be their ability to replace All-Sun Belt point guard D'Andre Williams (2010-12). Williams led the team in points (13.2 ppg), assists (3.9) and steals (1.7 spg) as a senior.
• Freshman John Gillon got his first career start in UALR's loss at Ole Miss and is averaging 14.3 points, 2.0 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 22.7 minutes per game.
• Freshman Josh Hagins has started two games at point guard for UALR this season and is averaging 4.0 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 20.3 minutes per game.
Size to Spare
• In addition to Neighbour, Javez and sophomore Gus Leeper, all of which stand 6-10, the Trojans' roster features three more players standing 6-7 or taller.
• Freshman Andrew Poulter (6-11, 282 lbs.), redshirt freshman James White (6-8, 215 lbs.) and freshman Mareik Isom (6-7, 193 lbs.) give UALR six players that measure 6-7 or taller on their current roster.
• Sophomore Taggart Lockhart is averaging a team-high 27.0 minutes through the first three games of the season after averaging 15.5 minutes as a freshman in 2011-12.
• Lockhart is averaging 6.7 points and 5.0 rebounds per contest, up from 3.4 points and 2.4 rebounds in his freshman season.
• Lockhart started and played a career-high 35 minutes in UALR's season opener vs. UT Martin and set new career highs in free throws made (5) and attempted (8).
• In 26 minutes at Louisiana Tech, Lockhart set new career highs in steals (3) and rebounds (8).
• Sophomore Ben Dillard has seen his minutes per game increase from 14.4 as a freshman to 20.7 through three games in 2012-13.
• Dillard is averaging 6.7 points per game through three games, up from 4.7 ppg a year ago.
• Dillard tied a career high with four made field goals against UT Martin (11/9/12), and set a new career best with 10 field goals attempted.
• Dillard again knocked down four field goals in UALR's game against Louisiana Tech (11/14/12) to match his career high.
• Dillard appeared in all 31 games, made six starts and scored in double figures on six occasions in his freshman campaign.
The Small Screen
• The league office unveiled its television package for the 2012-13 season, which includes a potential ESPN2 game for the Trojans.
• UALR's game at North Texas on Jan. 26 has been selected as a Wildcard game by ESPN. As the date draws closer, ESPN will elect to televise either the game between UALR and North Texas, or Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee.
• The Sun Belt Network will visit the JSC on Jan. 12 to televise the game between UALR and FIU at 3:30 p.m.
• Sun Belt Network games are carried by Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) and Cox Sports Television (CST) and will likely be available through ESPN3 and ESPN's Full Court package.
• The Trojans also have a television game lined up at Cincinnati on Dec. 6 (Fox Sports Ohio), as well as an ESPN3 game against Middle Tennessee on Jan. 17 in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• UALR has been picked to finish third in the Sun Belt's West Division in a preseason poll of the coaches.
• Sophomore Will Neighbour was selected to the Preseason All-SBC First Team.
• North Texas received all 11 first-place votes as the preseason pick to win the West. Middle Tennessee received all 11 first-place votes as the choice to win the East Division.
• Sophomore Tony Mitchell from North Texas is the Preseason Player of the Year.
• UALR will host Jacksonville on Wednesday, Nov. 21 as part of the Hoops for Hope Classic.
• The Trojans will then travel to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to continue the Hoops for Hope Classic with a game against SMU (Nov. 24) before playing either Missouri State or South Carolina on Nov. 25.
• UALR opens Sun Belt play agaist Troy on Nov. 29 at the Jack Stephens Center.