GM5 // UALR (2-2) vs. Jacksonville (2-2)
Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2012 • 7:30 PM (CST)
Little Rock, Ark. • Jack Stephens Center (5,600)
Radio: KHLR - 106.7 FM
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP) & Pat Bradley (Analyst)
Live Video: UALRTrojans.com
Live Stats: UALRTrojans.com
2012-13 Record: 2-2
Home Record: 2-0
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 149-130
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: John Gillon (13.0)
Rebounds: James White (6.3)
Assists: Josh Hagins (2.3)
Steals: Isler/Neighbour (1.8)
Blocks: James White (1.5)
2012-13 Record: 2-2
Road Record: 1-2
Head Coach: Cliff Warren (8th year)
Record at JU: 102-116
Career Record: Same
Jacksonville Statistical Leaders
Points: Keith McDougald (11.0)
Rebounds: Glenn Powell (6.8)
Assists: Russell Powell (4.0)
Steals: Kordario Fleming (2.0)
Blocks: G. Powell/Fleming (0.5)
• UALR snapped a two-game losing streak and improved to 2-0 at home this season with a 59-43 win over Milwaukee in the Trojans' opener of the Hoops for Hope Classic at the Jack Stephens Center on Monday.
• Milwaukee entered the game shooting 41.4 percent from the field and 41.5 percent from three-point range, but were held to season-low efforts in both categories.
• The Panthers shot just 33 percent from the field (17-for-52) and 23 percent from three-point range (5-for-22).
• UALR forced Milwaukee into a season-high 19 turnovers.
• The Trojan offense shot a season-high 51.1 (24-for-47) percent from the field in the win.
• UALR is now 50-5 in Steve Shields' tenure when shooting 50 percent or better from the floor.
• For the season, UALR is shooting 38.6 percent from the floor and 31.0 percent from behind the three-point line.
• John Gillon leads UALR in scoring (13.0 ppg) and is followed by Will Neighbour (10.0 ppg) and James White (10.0 ppg).
• White, who made his first career start against Milwaukee, also leads the Trojans in rebounding (6.3 rpg), blocks (1.5 bpg) and field goal percentage (50.0 percent).
• UALR (2-2) used a strong defensive effort to hold Milwaukee (2-2) to 33 percent shooting from the field and 23 percent shooting from three-point range and earn a 59-43 win over the visiting Panthers Monday night at the Jack Stephens Center as part of the Hoops for Hope Classic.
• Junior Will Neighbour led all players with a season-high 17 points, while junior Leroy Isler chipped in with career-high 13 points, five rebounds and four steals in his first career start.
• The Panthers entered Monday's contest shooting 41.4 percent from the field and 41.5 percent from three-point range, but were held to season-low efforts in both categories by a UALR defense that forced Milwaukee into a season-high 19 turnovers.
• Freshman James White scored seven points, grabbed six rebounds and blocked two shots in what was also the first start of his career.
• UALR finished the night with a season-best 51.1 (24-of-47) shooting percentage from the field.
• UALR's 10 steals were a season best.
• Jacksonville also sports a 2-2 overall record heading into Wednesday's matchup.
• The Dolphins most recently beat Missouri State by a final of 64-58 in Springfield, Mo. Jacksonville held Missouri State to 34.5 percent shooting from the field to overcome a 34-to-31 rebounding deficit and an 11-to-2 disadvantage in second-chance points.
• Keith McDouglad leads the Dophins on offense at 11.0 points per contest. Dylan Fritsch is next at 9.5 ppg and has knocked down nine three-pointers on the season.
• The Dolphins are averaging 65.2 points per game and shooting 44.3 percent from the floor.
• Jacksonville sports a +3.3 rebounding margin but is turning it over an average of 18.0 times per game.
All-Time Against The Dolphins
• UALR holds a 13-1 edge in the all-time series against Jacksonville, who was a member of the Sun Belt Conference from 1992-98.
• The Trojans haven't played the Dolphins since the 1998 season and have won eight-straight dating back to the 1994-95 season.
• UALR is 8-1 against the Dolphins in games played in Little Rock.
• Freshman John Gillon leads UALR in scoring (13.0 ppg), three-point shooting (46.7 percent, 7-of-15), made three pointers (7) and free throw shooting (88.2 percent, 15-for-17) through the first four games of the season.
• Most recently, Gillon scored nine points on 3-of-5 shooting and grabbed a career-best four rebounds vs. Milwaukee (11/19/12).
• Gillon's 22 points against UT Martin (11/9/12) were the most by a UALR freshman in their college debut since the Trojans moved to Division I in 1979.
• That record was previously held by UALR's all-time leading scorer, James Scott, who scored 19 in an 88-102 loss to Purdue to start the 1987-88 season.
• Making his first career start at Ole Miss, Gillon scored a team-high 14 points and knocked down 3-of-7 three-point tries in a season-high 27 minutes.
• Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt selection Will Neighbour broke out of his scoring slump with a season-high 17-point outburst against Milwaukee (11/19/12).
• Thirteen of Neighbour's 17 points came in the second half.
• Neighbour tied career highs in FGM (8) and FGA (15) while notching the 17th double-digit scoring game of his career against the Panthers.
• Neighbour collected the third double-double of his career with a 13-point, 13-rebound performance against UT Martin (11/9/12).
• Neighbour's 13 boards (2 offensive, 11 defensive) against UTM were a career best.
• Neighbour earned Second Team All-Sun Belt honors as a sophomore in 2011-12 and ranked second on the team in scoring (10.5 ppg) and rebounding (5.3 rpg), while leading the Trojans in three-point shooting (41.3 percent) and made three pointers (43).
• Redshirt freshman James White is tied for second on the team in scoring (10.0 ppg) and assists (1.8 apg) and leads UALR in rebounding (6.3 rpg) and blocks (6).
• In his first career start vs. Milwaukee, White scored seven points, pulled down six rebounds and blocked a career-high two shots in 29 minutes.
• White also leads UALR with nine offensive rebounds on the season.
• White's six blocked shots currently rank sixth in the Sun Belt Conference.
• Sophomore Michael Javes ranks second on the team with five blocked shots through four games this season.
• Javes now has 49 blocks in 34 career games with 13 multi-block games in that span.
• Javes' streak of 11-straight games with at least one blocked shot was snapped in the Trojans' game vs. Milwaukee.
• Javes ranked sixth in the Sun Belt and led the Trojans with 44 blocked shots (1.5 bpg) in the 2011-12 season.
• The Cali, Colombia-native had six games with three-or-more blocked shots in 2011-12, including a season-high five against IUPUI (11/15/11) and Arkansas State (1/14/12).
• Javes played in 30 games with 23 starts as a true freshman, averaging 5.0 points and 4.2 rebounds per game.
Formula For Success
• UALR shot a season-best 51.1 percent from the floor and held Milwaukee to a season-low 33 percent field goal percentage.
• Under head coach Steve Shields, UALR is 50-5 when shooting 50 percent or better, and 76-19 when holding opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• The Trojans are 76-13 under Shields when holding opponents under 60 points.
• A major key to the Trojans' development this season will be their ability to replace All-Sun Belt point guard D'Andre Williams (2010-12). Williams led the team in points (13.2 ppg), assists (3.9) and steals (1.7 spg) as a senior.
• Freshman John Gillon has started each of the last two games and is averaging 13.0 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 24.0 minutes per game.
• Freshman Josh Hagins started UALR's first two games at point guard and is averaging 3.8 points, 2.0 rebounds and a team-best 2.5 assists in 19.0 minutes per game.
• Sophomore Ben Dillard has seen his minutes per game increase from 14.4 as a freshman to 21.8 through four games in 2012-13.
• Dillard is averaging 6.8 points per game through four games, up from 4.7 ppg a year ago.
• Against UT Martin (11/9/12), Dillard tied a career high with four made field goals, and set a new career best with 10 field goals attempted.
• Dillard again knocked down four field goals in UALR's game against Louisiana Tech (11/14/12) to match his career high.
• The Frisco, Texas-native played a season-high 25 minutes against Milwaukee (11/19/12).
• Dillard appeared in all 31 games, made six starts and scored in double figures on six occasions in his freshman campaign.
Size to Spare
• In addition to Neighbour, Javez and sophomore Gus Leeper, all of which stand 6-10, the Trojans' roster features three more players standing 6-7 or taller.
• Freshman Andrew Poulter (6-11, 282 lbs.), redshirt freshman James White (6-8, 215 lbs.) and freshman Mareik Isom (6-7, 193 lbs.) give UALR six players that measure 6-7 or taller on their current roster.
The Small Screen
• The league office unveiled its television package for the 2012-13 season, which includes a potential ESPN2 game for the Trojans.
• UALR's game at North Texas on Jan. 26 has been selected as a Wildcard game by ESPN. As the date draws closer, ESPN will elect to televise either the game between UALR and North Texas, or Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee.
• The Sun Belt Network will visit the JSC on Jan. 12 to televise the game between UALR and FIU at 3:30 p.m.
• Sun Belt Network games are carried by Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) and Cox Sports Television (CST) and will likely be available through ESPN3 and ESPN's Full Court package.
• The Trojans also have a television game lined up at Cincinnati on Dec. 6 (Fox Sports Ohio), as well as an ESPN3 game against Middle Tennessee on Jan. 17 in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• UALR has been picked to finish third in the Sun Belt's West Division in a preseason poll of the coaches.
• Sophomore Will Neighbour was selected to the Preseason All-SBC First Team.
• North Texas received all 11 first-place votes as the preseason pick to win the West. Middle Tennessee received all 11 first-place votes as the choice to win the East Division.
• Sophomore Tony Mitchell from North Texas is the Preseason Player of the Year.
• The Trojans will travel to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to continue the Hoops for Hope Classic with a game against SMU (Nov. 24) before playing either Missouri State or South Carolina on Nov. 25.
• UALR opens Sun Belt play against Troy on Nov. 29 at the Jack Stephens Center.