GM6 // UALR (3-2) vs. SMU (5-0)
Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012 • 8:30 PM (CST)
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico • Puerto Vallarta International Convention Center
Radio: KHLR- 106.7 FM
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP)
2012-13 Record: 3-2
Road Record: 0-2
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 150-130
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: John Gillon (13.6)
Rebounds: James White (6.6)
Assists: Josh Hagins (1.9)
Steals: Leroy Isler (1.3)
Blocks: James White (1.3)
2012-13 Record: 5-0
Road Record: 2-0
Head Coach: Larry Brown (1st year)
Record at SMU: 5-0
NCAA Career Record: 177-60
SMU Statistical Leaders
Points: Jalen Jones (18.2)
Rebounds: Jalen Jones (7.6)
Assists: Nick Russell (4.4)
Steals: Nick Russell (1.4)
Blocks: Canne Cunningham (1.8)
• Head coach Steve Shields recorded his 150th win as coach of the Trojans Wednesday night, as UALR beat Jacksonville by a 78-56 final at the Jack Stephens Center.
• The Trojans set new season highs in FGM (29), FGA (64), 3PM (7), rebounds (45), blocks (7) and tied their season high in assists (16) in Wednesday's win.
• UALR shot a season-best 76.5 percent (13-of-17) from the foul line in the win.
• The win improved UALR's home record to 3-0 on the year. The Trojans are still searching for their first victory away from the Jack Stephens Center.
• Freshman John Gillon scored a game-high 16 points against Jacksonville and continues to lead UALR in scoring at 13.6 ppg.
• Sophomore Michael Javes blocked two shots Wednesday night and now has 14 multi-block games in his career.
• Freshman James White set new season highs in rebounds (8) and blocks (3) and scored 13 points against Jacksonville. White leads UALR with 14 offensive rebounds this season.
• UALR held Jacksonville to just 35.1 percent shooting from the floor, making the Trojans 77-19 under Shields when holding opponents under 40 percent shooting.
• UALR is 77-13 under Shields when keeping their opponents under 60 points.
• UALR finished with a +13 margin on the glass (45-to-32) and ended the night with four players in double figures, as the Trojans topped Jacksonville 78-56 in their second game in Hoops for Hope Classic Wednesday night at the Jack Stephens Center.
• Freshman John Gillon led all players with 16 points and four assists, while freshman James White finished with 13 points, eight rebounds and three blocks.
• Junior Will Neighbour scored 15 points on 6-of-10 shooting and pulled down seven rebounds, and sophomore Taggart Lockhart scored a career-high 14 points while adding two steals.
• Sophomore Michael Javes grabbed a season-best seven boards and blocked two shots.
• Leading 42-27 at halftime, UALR's lead got as low as six in the second half. But a trey by Gillon at the 9:37 mark got the lead back to 10, 58-48, and back-to-back jumpers by White and Neighbour increased the lead to 16 with just under four minutes left in regulation.
• The Mustangs are 5-0 on the season after beating Rider by an 83-70 final Wednesday night in Dallas.
• SMU is averaging 75.8 points per game and is holding its opponents to 37.3 percent shooting from the field.
• As a team, the Mustangs are shooting 49.2 percent from the field and 78.7 percent from the foul line.
• Jalen Jones leads the Mustangs in scoring (18.2 ppg) and rebounding (7.6 rpg).
All-Time Against the Mustangs
• UALR is 1-1 all-time against SMU with both meetings coming in the past two seasons.
• Last year in Little Rock, SMU beat UALR in overtime by a final of 69-63. SMU didn't miss a shot in overtime, going 4-of-4 from the field and 3-of-3 from long range.
• Two years ago in Dallas, UALR rallied from a nine-point halftime deficit to knock off the Mustangs, 57-47.
• Freshman John Gillon leads UALR in scoring (13.6 ppg), three-point shooting (42.9 percent, 9-of-21), made three pointers (9) and free throw shooting (90.5 percent, 19-for-21) through the first five games of the season.
• Most recently, Gillon scored a game-high 16 points and set new career highs in rebounds (5) and assists (4) against Jacksonville (11/21/12).
• Gillon's 22 points against UT Martin (11/9/12) were the most by a UALR freshman in their college debut since the Trojans moved to Division I in 1979.
• That record was previously held by UALR's all-time leading scorer, James Scott, who scored 19 in an 88-102 loss to Purdue to start the 1987-88 season.
• Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt selection Will Neighbour scored 15 points on a season-best 2-of-4 performance from three-point range vs. Jacksonville.
• Neighbour tied career highs in FGM (8) and FGA (15) against Milwaukee (11/19/12).
• Neighbour's 17 points against Milwaukee were a season high, 13 of which came in the second half.
• Neighbour collected the third double-double of his career with a 13-point, 13-rebound performance in UALR's season opener against UT Martin (11/9/12).
• Neighbour's 13 boards (2 offensive, 11 defensive) against UTM were a career best.
• Neighbour earned Second Team All-Sun Belt honors as a sophomore in 2011-12 and ranked second on the team in scoring (10.5 ppg) and rebounding (5.3 rpg), while leading the Trojans in three-point shooting (41.3 percent) and made three pointers (43).
• Redshirt freshman James White is averaging 10.6 ppg and leads UALR in rebounding (6.6 rpg), offensive rebounds (14), blocks (1.8 bpg) and field goal percentage (52.4).
• Most recently, White set new career highs in rebounds (8) and blocks (3) while scoring 13 points against Jacksonville (11/21/12).
• White has blocked 2+ shots in each of UALR's last three games.
• White's nine blocked shots currently rank seventh in the Sun Belt Conference.
• Sophomore Michael Javes ranks second on the team with seven blocked shots through five games this season.
• Javes now has 51 blocks in 35 career games with 14 multi-block games in that span.
• Javes has blocked a shot in 12 of UALR's last 13 games.
• Javes ranked sixth in the Sun Belt and led the Trojans with 44 blocked shots (1.5 bpg) in the 2011-12 season.
• Javes played in 30 games with 23 starts as a true freshman, averaging 5.0 points and 4.2 rebounds per game.
• Over its first two games of the Hoops for Hope Classic, UALR has held its opponents to a combined 33.9 percent shooting from the field and 20.0 percent from three-point range.
• UALR held Milwaukee and Jacksonville to 43 and 56 points, respectively.
• Under head coach Steve Shields, UALR is 77-19 when holding its opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• The Trojans are 77-13 under Shields when holding opponents under 60 points.
Leading the Charge
• A major catalyst to UALR's defensive turnaround over the last two games has been junior Leroy Isler, who started both contests at shooting guard.
• Isler limited Milwaukee's Jordan Aaron to 13 points on 5-of-14 shooting in Monday's contest. Aaron entered the game averaging 21.0 ppg and shooting 45.7 percent from the floor.
• Against Jacksonville, Isler held Keith McDougald to just two points on 1-of-8 shooting.
• Isler leads UALR with nine steals and already has three games of 2+ steals this season.
• A major key to the Trojans' development this season will be their ability to replace All-Sun Belt point guard D'Andre Williams (2010-12).
• Freshman John Gillon has started each of the last three games and is averaging 13.9 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 24.6 minutes per game.
• Freshman Josh Hagins started UALR's first two games at point guard and is averaging 4.6 points, 2.0 boards and a team-best 2.6 assists in 19.8 minutes per game.
• Sophomore Taggart Lockhart has seen his minutes increase to 24.4 per game this season, up from 15.5 as freshman in 2011-12.
• Lockhart set new career highs in points (14), FGM (6) and FGA (11) in UALR's win over Jacksonville.
• Through five games, Lockhart is averaging 7.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game.
Size to Spare
• In addition to Neighbour, Javez and sophomore Gus Leeper, all of which stand 6-10, the Trojans' roster features three more players standing 6-7 or taller.
• Freshman Andrew Poulter (6-11, 282 lbs.), redshirt freshman James White (6-8, 215 lbs.) and freshman Mareik Isom (6-7, 193 lbs.) give UALR six players that measure 6-7 or taller on their current roster.
The Small Screen
• The league office unveiled its television package for the 2012-13 season, which includes a potential ESPN2 game for the Trojans.
• UALR's game at North Texas on Jan. 26 has been selected as a Wildcard game by ESPN. As the date draws closer, ESPN will elect to televise either the game between UALR and North Texas, or Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee.
• The Sun Belt Network will visit the JSC on Jan. 12 to televise the game between UALR and FIU at 3:30 p.m.
• Sun Belt Network games are carried by Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) and Cox Sports Television (CST) and will likely be available through ESPN3 and ESPN's Full Court package.
• The Trojans also have a TV game lined up at Cincinnati on Dec. 6 (Fox Sports Ohio), as well as an ESPN3 game against Middle Tennessee on Jan. 17 in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• UALR has been picked to finish third in the Sun Belt's West Division in a preseason poll of the coaches.
• Junior Will Neighbour was selected to the Preseason All-SBC First Team.
• North Texas received all 11 first-place votes as the preseason pick to win the West. Middle Tennessee received all 11 first-place votes as the choice to win the East Division.
• Sophomore Tony Mitchell from North Texas is the Preseason Player of the Year.
• The Trojans will continue the Hoops for Hope Classic with a game against either Missouri State or South Carolina on Sunday, Nov. 25.
• UALR opens Sun Belt play agaist Troy on Nov. 29 at the Jack Stephens Center.