GM8 // UALR (4-3) vs. Troy (4-3)
Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012 • 7:30 PM (CST)
Little Rock, Ark. • Jack Stephens Center (5,600)
Radio: KABZ - 103.7 FM
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP) & Pat Bradley (Analayst)
Live Video: UALRTrojans.com
Live Stats: UALRTrojans.com
2012-13 Record: 4-3
Home Record: 3-0
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 151-131
Career Record: Same
Points: Will Neighbour (12.7)
Rebounds: James White (6.1)
Assists: John Gillon (3.0)
Steals: Leroy Isler (1.6)
Blocks: Javes/White (1.6)
2012-13 Record: 4-3
Road Record: 1-1
Head Coach: Don Maestri (31st year)
Record at Troy: 492-386
Career Record: Same
Points: Hunter Williams (11.6)
Rebounds: Emil Jones (6.0)
Assists: Jones/Myers (3.0)
Steals: Emil Jones (1.6)
Blocks: Emil Jones (0.6)
• UALR and Troy's matchup will be the Sun Belt Conference opener for both teams.
• UALR went 3-1 in the Hoops for Hope Classic, beating Milwaukee, Jacksonville and SMU before losing to South Carolina by a 74-62 final in the championship game in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
• Over its last four games, UALR is shooting 46.3 percent from the floor and 40.7 percent from three-point range.
• Over the same span, the Trojans are holding their opponents to 39.7 percent shooting from the floor and just 27.8 percent from behind the three-point line.
• UALR averaged 15.0 assists per game in the Hoops for Hope Classic.
• Junior Will Neighbour averaged a team-best 16.5 points on 60.9 percent shooting from the floor in the Hoops for Hope Classic.
• UALR enters Thursday's game with a perfect 3-0 record in the Jack Stephens Center this season.
• The Trojans are 95-40 in home games under head coach Steve Shields.
• In its three home games this season, UALR is holding opponents to 55.7 point per game and just 36.3 percent shooting from the field and 23.6 percent from three-point range.
• Under head coach Steve Shields, UALR is 78-13 when keeping its opponents under 60 points, and 78-19 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
South Carolina Recap
• UALR had its three-game win streak snapped with a 74-62 loss to South Carolina in the finals of the Hoops for Hope Classic in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
• After beating SMU by a final of 69-56 in the semifinals on Saturday, UALR couldn't slow down a South Carolina offense that shot 56.0 percent from the floor and outrebounded the Trojans 40-to-25 in the championship game.
• UALR trailed 39-22 at the half after shooting just 34.6 percent (9-of-26) and being outrebounded 25-to-8.
• The Gamecocks won the battles of points in the paint (38-to-26), points off turnovers (22-to-14), second-chance points (19-to-9), fast break points (10-to-2) and bench points (30-to-13).
• UALR committed just 12 turnovers and forced the Gamecocks into 21 miscues.
• Will Neighbour was the only Trojan to finish in double figures with a season-high 19 points on 8-of-12 shooting from the field.
• Troy comes into Thursday's matchup sporting an identical 4-3 overall record after having its three-game win streak snapped Tuesday night with a loss to UAB.
• The Trojans are 1-1 in true road games this season and 2-2 in games played away from the new Trojan Arena.
• The Trojans are averaging just 59.3 points per game through its first seven games and sport a -8.4 rebounding margin, but turn it over just 10.4 times per game.
• Troy is shooting the ball at a 38.1 percent clip from the field and 32.9 percent from three-point range.
• Through seven games, Troy has already put up 164 three-point attempts (23.4 per game).
• Troy opened its season with a 56-53 win at home against Mississippi State.
• Troy lost to Louisiana Tech, 46-70, in the CBE Hall of Fame Classic in Chattanooga, Tenn., on Nov. 18. UALR also lost to Louisiana Tech on Nov. 14 by a 70-52 final in Ruston, La.
• Troy is led by senior guard Emil Jones, who through seven games ranks second on the team in scoring (9.7 ppg) and leads the team in rebounding (6.0 rpg), steals (1.6 spg) and blocks (0.6 bpg), and is tied for the team lead in assists (3.0 apg).
All-Time Against Troy
• UALR is 5-4 all-time against Troy after a 74-62 win in overtime last season at Sartain Hall.
• Troy leads the series, 3-2, in games played in Little Rock.
• UALR has won two straight games in the series.
• Last year, UALR outscored Troy 18-6 in the overtime period and finished the game with nine three pointers. Sophomore Ben Dillard scored 12 points on a perfect 10-of-10 effort from the foul line.
• Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt selection Will Neighbour enters Thursday's game against Troy having reached double figures in scoring in four-straight games.
• Over his last four games, Neighbour is averaging 16.5 points and 6.3 rebounds while shooting 60.9 percent from the floor.
• Neighbour scored a season-high 19 points on 8-of-12 shooting vs. South Carolina (11/25/12).
• Neighbour tied career highs in FGM (8) and FGA (15) against Milwaukee (11/19/12).
• Neighbour has three career double-doubles after a 13-point, 13-rebound performance in UALR's season opener against UT Martin (11/9/12).
• Neighbour's 13 boards (2 offensive, 11 defensive) against UTM were a career best.
• Neighbour earned Second Team All-Sun Belt honors as a sophomore in 2011-12 and ranked second on the team in scoring (10.5 ppg) and rebounding (5.3 rpg), while leading the Trojans in three-point shooting (41.3 percent) and made three pointers (43).
Gillon Continues Stellar Play
• Freshman John Gillon ranks second on the team in scoring (12.3 ppg) and leads UALR in assists (3.0 apg), three-point shooting (46.4 percent), made three pointers (13) and free throw shooting (87.5 percent).
• Gillon averaged 10.8 points, 4.3 assists, 3.3 rebounds and knocked down seven three pointers over four games in the Hoops for Hope Classic.
• Gillon's 22 points against UT Martin (11/9/12) were the most by a UALR freshman in their college debut since the Trojans moved to Division I in 1979.
• That record was previously held by UALR's all-time leading scorer, James Scott, who scored 19 in an 88-102 loss to Purdue to start the 1987-88 season.
• Redshirt freshman James White is averaging 10.1 points and a team-high 6.1 rebounds while shooting 50.0 percent from the floor.
• White has started each of UALR's last four games.
• In UALR's most recent home game, White set new career highs in rebounds (8) and blocks (3) while scoring 13 points against Jacksonville (11/21/12).
• White his tied for the team lead in blocks (11) and has blocked 2+ shots in three games this season.
• Sophomore Michael Javes is tied for the team lead with 11 blocks this season.
• Javes now has 55 blocks in 37 career games with 15 multi-block games in that span.
• Javes recorded a season-high four blocks vs. SMU (11/24/12).
• Javes ranked sixth in the Sun Belt and led the Trojans with 44 blocked shots (1.5 bpg) in the 2011-12 season.
• Javes played in 30 games with 23 starts as a true freshman, averaging 5.0 points and 4.2 rebounds per game.
• UALR held opponents to just 57.2 points per game and 39.7 percent shooting from the field in its four games in the Hoops for Hope Classic.
• Under head coach Steve Shields, UALR is 78-19 when holding its opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• The Trojans are 78-13 under Shields when holding opponents under 60 points.
• For the season, UALR's scoring defense of 65.6 ppg ranks fourth in the Sun Belt.
Leading the Charge
• A major catalyst to UALR's defensive turnaround over the last four games has been junior Leroy Isler, who has started each of the last four games at shooting guard.
• Over the last four games, Isler is averaging 10.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals while shooting 50.0 percent (14-of-28) from the floor.
• On the season, Isler leads UALR with 11 steals and ranks third on the team at 4.9 rebounds per game.
• A major key to the Trojans' development this season will be their ability to replace All-Sun Belt point guard D'Andre Williams (2010-12).
• Freshman John Gillon has started the last five games at point guard and is averaging 12.3 points, 3.0 assists and 2.7 rebounds in 25.3 minutes per game.
• Freshman Josh Hagins started UALR's first two games at point guard and is averaging 4.4 points, 2.6 assists and 2.0 rebounds in 19.1 minutes per game.
• Sophomore Taggart Lockhart has seen his minutes increase to 24.9 per game this season, up from 15.5 as a freshman in 2011-12.
• Lockhart set new career highs in points (14), FGM (6) and FGA (11) in UALR's win vs. Jacksonville (11/21/12).
• Through seven games, Lockhart is averaging 6.6 points and 3.3 rebounds and is second on the team with 10 steals.
Size to Spare
• In addition to Neighbour, Javes and sophomore Gus Leeper, all of which stand 6-10, the Trojans' roster features three more players standing 6-7 or taller.
• Freshman Andrew Poulter (6-11, 282 lbs.), redshirt freshman James White (6-8, 215 lbs.) and freshman Mareik Isom (6-7, 193 lbs.) give UALR six players that measure 6-7 or taller on their current roster.
The Small Screen
• The league office unveiled its television package for the 2012-13 season, which includes a potential ESPN2 game for the Trojans.
• UALR's game at North Texas on Jan. 26 has been selected as a Wildcard game by ESPN. As the date draws closer, ESPN will elect to televise either the game between UALR and North Texas, or Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee.
• The Sun Belt Network will visit the JSC on Jan. 12 to televise the game between UALR and FIU at 3:30 p.m.
• Sun Belt Network games are carried by Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) and Cox Sports Television (CST) and will likely be available through ESPN3 and ESPN's Full Court package.
• The Trojans also have a TV game lined up at Cincinnati on Dec. 6 (Fox Sports Ohio), as well as an ESPN3 game against Middle Tennessee on Jan. 17 in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• UALR has been picked to finish third in the Sun Belt's West Division in a preseason poll of the coaches.
• Junior Will Neighbour was selected to the Preseason All-SBC First Team.
• North Texas received all 11 first-place votes as the preseason pick to win the West. Middle Tennessee received all 11 first-place votes as the choice to win the East Division.
• Sophomore Tony Mitchell from North Texas is the Preseason Player of the Year.
• The Trojans will continue Sun Belt Conference play by hosting ULM in a men's and women's doubleheader before a couple of non-conference matchups with St. Gregory's (Tuesday, Dec. 4) and at Cincinnati (Thursday, Dec. 6).