GM9 // UALR (5-3, 1-0 SBC) vs. ULM (0-3, 0-1 SBC)
Saturday, Dec. 1, 2012 • 7 PM (CST)
Little Rock, Ark. • Jack Stephens Center (5,600)
Radio: KHLR - 106.7 FM
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP) & Pat Bradley (Analayst)
Live Video: UALRTrojans.com
Live Stats: UALRTrojans.com
2012-13 Record: 5-3
Home Record: 4-0
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 152-131
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Will Neighbour (12.9)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (6.5)
Assists: John Gillon (2.9)
Steals: Isler/Lockhart/Neighbour (1.4)
Blocks: Javes/White (1.5)
2012-13 Record: 0-3
Road Record: 0-2
Head Coach: Keith Richard (3rd year)
Record at ULM: 10-53
Career Record: 160-170
ULM Statistical Leaders
Points: Amos Olatayo (16.3)
Rebounds: Amos Olatayo (6.7)
Assists: Jayon James (4.7)
Steals: Amos Olatayo (2.3)
Blocks: Brown/James/Olatayo (0.3
• UALR stayed undefeated at home and won its Sun Belt Conference opener with a 58-56 win over Troy on Thursday at the Jack Stephens Center.
• The Trojans outscored Troy 30-to-23 on 57.9 percent (11-of-19) shooting over the final 20 minutes to overcome a five-point halftime deficit.
• UALR's two-point victory was by far its closest game of the season. The Trojans' 12-point loss vs. South Carolina in the finals of the Hoops for Hope Classic was previously its closest decision.
• The Trojans won the rebounding battle (38-to-36) and limited Troy to 38.1 percent (24-of-63) shooting from the field and just 27.3 percent (6-of-22) shooting from three-point range.
• Over its last five games, UALR is holding its opponents to 39.3 percent shooting from the field and 27.7 percent shooting from long range.
• Under head coach Steve Shields, UALR is 79-13 when keeping its opponents under 60 points, and 79-19 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• Junior Will Neighbour recorded his fifth-straight double-digit scoring game and second double-double of the season with a 14-point, 11-rebound effort vs. Troy.
• UALR committed only 10 turnovers in the Thursday's win and is averaging just 9.7 turnovers per game in its last three outings.)
• UALR (5-3, 1-0 SBC) shot 57.9 percent and outscored Troy (4-4, 0-1 SBC) 30-to-23 over the final 20 minutes to win its SBC opener by a 58-56 final Thursday night at the Jack Stephens Center.
• Both teams finished the game shooting below 40 percent from the field, but UALR was able to knock down 14-of-22 free throws, while Troy finished the night just 2-of-2 from the foul line.
• UALR improved to 4-0 on the season when holding their opponents to fewer than 60 points and 4-1 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting.
• UALR finished with four players in double figures for the third time this season. Junior Leroy Isler finished with 12 points, while sophomore Taggart Lockhart and freshman James White chipped in 11 and 10, respectively.
• ULM enters Saturday's matchup in search of its first win of the season. The Warhawks most recently fell at home against Western Kentucky, 65-54, Thursday night.
• The Warhawks sit at the bottom of the Sun Belt in scoring offense (52.3 ppg) and next to the bottom in scoring defense (72.7 ppg), and are being outscored by an average of 20.3 points per game.
• ULM's rebounding margin of -9.3 also sits at the bottom of the conference.
• The Warhawks are led by junior college transfer Amos Olatayo, who leads ULM in points (16.3 ppg), rebounds (6.7 rpg), steals (2.3 spg) and is tied for the team lead in blocks (0.3 bpg).
All-Time Against ULM
• UALR holds a 12-8 lead in the all-time series between the two teams.
• The Trojans lead the series 6-4 in games played in Little Rock.
• Head coach Steve Shields is 9-5 all-time against the Warhawks.
• UALR has won four straight in the series and went 2-0 against ULM last season.
• In UALR's 70-66 win over the Warhawks at the JSC last season, ULM's Marcellis Hansberry scored a game-high 22 points and UALR sophomore Ben Dillard scored 12 points on a perfect 6-of-6 effort from the foul line.
• Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt selection Will Neighbour enters Saturday's game against ULM having reached double figures in scoring in five-straight games.
• Over his last five games, Neighbour is averaging 16.0 points, 7.2 rebounds, 1.2 blocks and 1.2 steals while shooting 55.9 percent from the floor.
• Neighbour tallied his second double-double of the season and fourth of his career with a 14-point, 11-rebound performance against Troy (11/29/12).
• UALR is 3-1 in Neighbour's four career double-double games.
• Neighbour tied career highs in FGM (8) and FGA (15) against Milwaukee (11/19/12).
• Neighbour's 13 boards (2 offensive, 11 defensive) against UT Martin (11/9/12) were a career best.
• Neighbour earned Second Team All-Sun Belt honors as a sophomore in 2011-12 and ranked second on the team in scoring (10.5 ppg) and rebounding (5.3 rpg), while leading the Trojans in three-point shooting (41.3 percent) and made three pointers (43).
Gillon Continues Stellar Play
• Freshman John Gillon ranks second on the team in scoring (11.4 ppg) and leads UALR in assists (2.9 apg), three-point shooting (43.8 percent), made three pointers (14) and free throw shooting (88.5 percent).
• Gillon averaged 10.8 points, 4.3 assists, 3.3 rebounds and knocked down seven three pointers as UALR went 3-1 in the Hoops for Hope Classic.
• Gillon's 22 points against UT Martin (11/9/12) were the most by a UALR freshman in their college debut since the Trojans moved to Division I in 1979.
• That record was previously held by UALR's all-time leading scorer, James Scott, who scored 19 in an 88-102 loss to Purdue to start the 1987-88 season.
• Redshirt freshman James White is averaging 10.1 points and 5.9 boards while shooting a team-best 51.5 percent from the floor.
• UALR is 4-1 since inserting White into the starting lineup vs. Milwaukee (11/19/12).
• Against Jacksonville (11/21/12), White scored 13 points and set new career highs in rebounds (8) and blocks (3).
• White's 12 blocked shots lead UALR and rank eighth in the Sun Belt.
• White has reached double figures in scoring in four games and blocked 2+ shots in three games this season.
• Sophomore Michael Javes ranks ninth in the Sun Belt with 11 blocked shots this season.
• Javes now has 55 blocks in 38 career games with 15 multi-block games in that span.
• Javes recorded a season-high four blocks vs. SMU (11/24/12).
• Javes ranked sixth in the Sun Belt and led the Trojans with 44 blocked shots (1.5 bpg) in the 2011-12 season.
• UALR's scoring defense (64.4 ppg) currently ranks third in the Sun Belt Conference.
• The Trojans' three-point defense (27.7 percent) also ranks third in the SBC. No team has shot better than 37.5 percent from three-point range against UALR this season.
• Over its last five games, UALR is holding its opponents to an average of 57.0 points per game and 39.3 percent shooting from the field.
• The Trojans are 79-13 under Steve Shields when holding opponents under 60 points.
• UALR is 79-19 under Shields when holding its opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• UALR held Troy to 38.1 percent (24-of-63) shooting from the field and 27.3 percent (6-of-22) shooting from three-point range.
Four's the Magic Number
• UALR is 3-0 on the season when four of its players reach double figures in scoring.
• Four Trojans have finished in double figures in wins vs. UT Martin, SMU and Troy.
• UALR is averaging just 9.7 turnovers per game in its last three outings.
• The Trojans have committed fewer turnovers than their opponents in five-straight games and in six of their eight games this season.
Leading the Charge
• A major catalyst to UALR's turnaround over the last five games has been junior Leroy Isler, who has started each of the last five games at shooting guard.
• Since being inserted into the starting lineup, Isler has averaged 10.4 points and 6.6 rebounds on 47.4 percent (18-of-38) shooting from the field and 57.1 percent (4- of-7) from three-point range.
• Against Troy, Isler recorded 12 points and nine boards.
• A major key to the Trojans' development this season will be their ability to replace All-Sun Belt point guard D'Andre Williams (2010-12).
• Freshman John Gillon has started the last six games at point guard and is averaging 11.4 points, 2.9 assists and 2.8 rebounds in 25.4 minutes per game.
• Freshman Josh Hagins started UALR's first two games at point guard and is averaging 4.6 points, 2.5 assists and 2.6 rebounds in 19.6 minutes per game.
• Sophomore Taggart Lockhart has seen his minutes increase to 25.5 per game this season, up from 15.5 as a freshman in 2011-12.
• Lockhart set new career highs in points (14), FGM (6) and FGA (11) in UALR's win vs. Jacksonville (11/21/12).
• Through eight games, Lockhart is averaging 7.1 points and 2.9 rebounds and is tied for the team lead with 11 steals.
Size to Spare
• In addition to Neighbour, Javes and sophomore Gus Leeper, all of which stand 6-10, the Trojans' roster features three more players standing 6-7 or taller.
• Freshman Andrew Poulter (6-11, 282 lbs.), redshirt freshman James White (6-8, 215 lbs.) and freshman Mareik Isom (6-7, 193 lbs.) give UALR six players that measure 6-7 or taller on their roster.
The Small Screen
• The league office unveiled its television package for the 2012-13 season, which includes a potential ESPN2 game for the Trojans.
• UALR's game at North Texas on Jan. 26 has been selected as a Wildcard game by ESPN. As the date draws closer, ESPN will elect to televise either the game between UALR and North Texas, or Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee.
• The Sun Belt Ne-twork will visit the JSC on Jan. 12 to televise the game between UALR and FIU at 3:30 p.m.
• Sun Belt Network games are carried by Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) and Cox Sports Television (CST) and will likely be available through ESPN3 and ESPN's Full Court package.
• The Trojans also have a TV game lined up at Cincinnati on Dec. 6 (Fox Sports Ohio), as well as an ESPN3 game against Middle Tennessee on Jan. 17 in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• UALR has been picked to finish third in the Sun Belt's West Division in a preseason poll of the coaches.
• Junior Will Neighbour was selected to the Preseason All-SBC First Team.
• The Trojans will play St. Gregory's at the Jack Stephens Center on Tuesday, Dec. 2 before traveling to Cincinnati on Thursday, Dec. 6.