GM10 // UALR (6-3) vs. St. Gregory's (6-3)
Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012 • 5:15 PM (CST)
Little Rock, Ark. • Jack Stephens Center (5,600)
Radio: KHLR - 106.7 FM
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP) & Pat Bradley (Analayst)
Live Video: UALRTrojans.com
Live Stats: UALRTrojans.com
2012-13 Record: 6-3
Home Record: 5-0
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 153-131
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Will Neighbour (12.9)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (6.4)
Assists: John Gillon (2.8)
Steals: Isler/Lockhart/Neighbour (1.2)
Blocks: Javes/White (1.4)
St. Gregory's Cavaliers
2012-13 Record: 6-3
Road Record: 0-2
Head Coach: John Martin (5th year)
Record at SGU: 27-95
Career Record: Same
St. Gregory's Statistical Leaders
Points: Fayzon Richey (24.3)
Rebounds: Fayzon Richey (8.8)
Assists: Devonte Young (3.7)
Steals: Fayzon Richey (2.0)
Blocks: Fayzon Richey (1.0)
• UALR improved to 2-0 in Sun Belt Conference play and 5-0 at home with an 83-58 win over ULM Saturday night at the Jack Stephens Center.
• The Trojans outscored the Warhawks by 20 (51-to-31) over the final 20 minutes and finished the game shooting 47.2 percent from the field.
• UALR set new season highs in both made free throws (23) and made three pointers (10), and shot a season-best 79.3 percent (23-of-29) from the foul line.
• UALR played to a +5 margin on the boards (36-to-31) and held a 42-to-23 lead in bench scoring, led by sophomore Ben Dillard's career-high 17 points.
• Over its last six games, UALR is holding its opponents to 39.3 percent shooting from the field and 29.4 percent shooting from long range.
• Under head coach Steve Shields, UALR is 80-13 when keeping its opponents under 60 points, and 80-19 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• Junior Will Neighbour recorded his sixth-straight double-digit scoring game with 13 points on 4-of-7 shooting.
• UALR tied a season high with 17 assists in the game. The Trojans are averaging 15.0 assists per game over their last six outings.
• Sophomore Ben Dillard came off the bench to score a career-high 17 points on 5-of-10 shooting to lead UALR (6-3, 2-0 SBC) to an 83-58 win over ULM (0-4, 0-2 SBC) Saturday night at the Jack Stephens Center.
• The Trojans' defense held ULM to 38.9 percent (21-of-54) shooting from the field and set a new season high with 10 made three pointers on the night.
• UALR finished the game shooting 47.2 percent (25-of-53) from the field and 43.5 percent (10-of-23) from three-point range.
• The Trojans tied a season high with 17 assists on 25 made baskets and set new season bests for free throw percentage (79.3 percent) and made free throws (23-of-29).
• Freshman James White scored 14 points on 5-of-8 shooting, and junior Will Neighbour tallied his sixth-straight double-digit scoring game with 13 points on a 4-of-7 effort from the field.
• Sophomore Taggart Lockhart scored nine points and led all Trojans with seven rebounds on the night.
• UALR finished the night with a 36-to-31 advantage on the boards and a 42-to-23 lead in bench scoring.
About St. Gregory's
• St. Gregory's (6-3) visits Little Rock on Tuesday for what will count as an exhibition matchup for the NAIA school.
• A member of the Sooner Athletic Conference, the Cavaliers are led by senior Fayzon Richey, who leads the team and ranks sixth amongst all NAIA players in points per game (24.3). Richey also leads SGU in rebounds (8.8 rpg), steals (2.0 spg) and blocks (1.0 bpg).
• SGU in averaging 77.4 points per game and sports a +5.5 rebounding margin through nine games this season.
All-Time Against St. Gregory's
• UALR leads St. Gregory's 3-0 in the all-time series.
• All three wins have come during the tenure of coach Steve Shields.
• The Trojans beat the Cavaliers by a 108-58 final score on Nov. 22, 2010. UALR raced out to an 18-1 lead and established a new school record as eight different players finished the game in double figures.
• Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt selection Will Neighbour enters Tuesday's game against St. Gregory's having reached double figures in scoring in six-straight games.
• Over his last six games, Neighbour is averaging 15.5 points, 7.0 rebounds, 1.2 blocks and 1.0 steals while shooting 56.1 percent from the floor.
• Neighbour tallied his second double-double of the season and fourth of his career with a 14-point, 11-rebound performance against Troy (11/29/12).
• UALR is 3-1 in Neighbour's four career double-double games.
• Neighbour tied career highs in FGM (8) and FGA (15) against Milwaukee (11/19/12).
• Neighbour's 13 boards (2 offensive, 11 defensive) against UT Martin (11/9/12) were a career best.
• Neighbour earned Second Team All-Sun Belt honors as a sophomore in 2011-12 and ranked second on the team in scoring (10.5 ppg) and rebounding (5.3 rpg), while leading the Trojans in three-point shooting (41.3 percent) and made three pointers (43).
Gillon Continues Stellar Play
• Freshman John Gillon ranks second on the team in scoring (10.8 ppg) and leads UALR in assists (2.8 apg), three-point shooting (42.9 percent), made three pointers (15) and free throw shooting (86.7 percent).
• Gillon averaged 10.8 points, 4.3 assists, 3.3 rebounds and knocked down seven three pointers as UALR went 3-1 in the Hoops for Hope Classic.
• Gillon's 22 points against UT Martin (11/9/12) were the most by a UALR freshman in their college debut since the Trojans moved to Division I in 1979.
• That record was previously held by UALR's all-time leading scorer, James Scott, who scored 19 in an 88-102 loss to Purdue to start the 1987-88 season.
• Redshirt freshman James White is averaging 10.6 points and 5.6 boards while shooting a team-best 52.6 percent from the floor.
• UALR is 5-1 since inserting White into the starting lineup vs. Milwaukee (11/19/12).
• Against Jacksonville (11/21/12), White scored 13 points and set new career highs in rebounds (8) and blocks (3).
• White's 13 blocked shots tie him with teammate Michael Javes for the team lead. The two are tied for seventh in the SBC in blocks per game.
• White has reached double figures in scoring in five games and blocked 2+ shots in three games this season.
• Sophomore Michael Javes now has 57 blocks in 39 career games with 16 multi-block games in that span.
• Javes blocked two shots in UALR's win over ULM (12/1/12).
• Javes recorded a season-high four blocks vs. SMU (11/24/12).
• Javes ranked sixth in the Sun Belt and led the Trojans with 44 blocked shots (1.5 bpg) in the 2011-12 season.
• UALR's scoring defense (63.7 ppg) currently ranks third in the Sun Belt Conference.
• The Trojans' three-point defense (28.9 percent) ranks second in the SBC. No team has shot better than 37.5 percent from three-point range against UALR this season.
• Over its last six games, UALR is holding its opponents to an average of 57.2 points per game and 39.3 percent shooting from the field.
• The Trojans are 80-13 under Steve Shields when holding opponents under 60 points.
• UALR is 80-19 under Shields when holding its opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• UALR held ULM to 38.9 percent (21-of-54) shooting from the field and 36.0 percent (9-of-25) from three-point range.
Four's the Magic Number
• UALR is 3-0 on the season when four of its players reach double figures in scoring.
• Four Trojans have finished in double figures in wins vs. UT Martin, SMU and Troy.
• UALR is averaging just 11.0 turnovers per game in its last four outings.
• The Trojans have committed fewer turnovers than their opponents in six-straight games and in seven of their nine games this season.
Leading the Charge
• A major catalyst to UALR's turnaround over the last six games has been junior Leroy Isler, who has started each of the last five games at shooting guard.
• Since being inserted into the starting lineup, Isler has averaged 9.0 points and 6.2 rebounds on 46.2 percent shooting from the field and 50.0 percent from three-point range.
• A major key to the Trojans' development this season will be their ability to replace All-Sun Belt point guard D'Andre Williams (2010-12).
• Freshman John Gillon has started the last seven games at point guard and is averaging 10.8 points, 2.8 assists and 2.6 rebounds in 24.2 minutes per game.
• Freshman Josh Hagins started UALR's first two games at point guard and is averaging 4.9 points, 2.7 assists and 2.3 rebounds in 20.4 minutes per game.
• Sophomore Taggart Lockhart has seen his minutes increase to 24.9 per game this season, up from 15.5 as a freshman in 2011-12.
• Lockhart set new career highs in points (14), FGM (6) and FGA (11) in UALR's win vs. Jacksonville (11/21/12).
• Through eight games, Lockhart is averaging 7.3 points and 3.3 rebounds and is tied for the team lead with 11 steals.
Size to Spare
• In addition to Neighbour, Javes and sophomore Gus Leeper, all of which stand 6-10, the Trojans' roster features three more players standing 6-7 or taller.
• Freshman Andrew Poulter (6-11, 282 lbs.), redshirt freshman James White (6-8, 215 lbs.) and freshman Mareik Isom (6-7, 193 lbs.) give UALR six players that measure 6-7 or taller on their roster.
The Small Screen
• UALR's game at North Texas on Jan. 26 has been selected as a Wildcard game by ESPN. As the date draws closer, ESPN will elect to televise either the game between UALR and North Texas, or Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee.
• The Sun Belt Network will visit the JSC on Jan. 12 to televise the game between UALR and FIU at 3:30 p.m.
• Sun Belt Network games are carried by Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) and Cox Sports Television (CST) and will likely be available through ESPN3 and ESPN's Full Court package.
• The Trojans also have a TV game lined up at Cincinnati on Dec. 6 (Fox Sports Ohio), as well as an ESPN3 game against Middle Tennessee on Jan. 17 in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• UALR has been picked to finish third in the Sun Belt's West Division in a preseason poll of the coaches.
• Junior Will Neighbour was selected to the Preseason All-SBC First Team.
• UALR plays at Cincinnati on Thursday at 6 p.m. in a game that will be broadcasted on Fox Sports Ohio.