GM11 // UALR (7-3) at No. 11/12 Cincinnati (7-0)
Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012 • 6 PM (CST)
Cincinnati, Ohio • Fifth Third Arena (13,176)
Radio: KHLR - 106.7 FM
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP)
Television: Fox Sports Ohio
TV Talent: Tom Gehlerter (PXP) & Terry Nelson (Analyst)
Live Video: GoBearcats.com
Live Stats: GoBearcats.com
2012-13 Record: 7-3
Road Record: 0-2
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 154-131
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Will Neighbour (12.2)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (6.3)
Assists: Josh Hagins (2.7)
Steals: Leroy Isler (1.3)
Blocks: Javes/White (1.5)
2012-13 Record: 7-0
Home Record: 5-0
Head Coach: Mike Cronin (7th year)
Record at UC: 120-88
Career Record: 189-112 (10 years)
Cincinnati Statistical Leaders
Points: Sean Kilpatrick (19.9)
Rebounds: Kilpatrick/Jackson (6.4)
Assists: Cashmere Wright (2.7)
Steals: Cashmere Wright (2.4)
Blocks: Cheikh Mbodj (2.9)
• UALR improved to 6-0 at home this season with a 91-30 win over St. Gregory's Tuesday night at the Jack Stephens Center.
• UALR is now 98-40 at home in the tenure of coach Steve Shields.
• The Trojans are still in search of their first true road win of the season.
• UALR set new season highs in points (91), made field goals (33), field goal percentage (33-of-60, 55 percent), assists (19) and steals (13) in Tuesday's win.
• UALR outrebounded SGU 44-to-31 and on the season has a +0.4 margin on the glass.
• UALR's scoring defense (60.3 ppg) ranks first in the Sun Belt Conference, while their defensive field goal percentage (39.1 percent) ranks second in the league.
• The Trojans' field goal percentage (43.1 percent) is good enough for third in the conference.
• UALR has held six of their last seven opponents to fewer than 60 points and below 40 percent shooting from the field and have a 6-1 record in that span.
• Under head coach Steve Shields, UALR is 81-13 when keeping its opponents under 60 points, and 81-19 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• Junior Will Neighbour leads UALR in scoring (12.2 ppg), rebounding (6.3 rpg) and field goal percentage (52.1 percent).
St. Gregory's Recap
• UALR (7-3) shot 55 percent (33-of-60) from the floor and held St. Gregory's (6-4) to 23.5 percent (12-of-51) shooting in a 91-30 victory Tuesday night at the Jack Stephens Center.
• UALR racked up a season-best 19 assists on the night while freshman John Gillon led four Trojans in double figures with 17, all in the first half.
• The Trojans' 91 points against SGU were a season high, as Kemy Osse (16), Stetson Billings (13) and Michael Javes (11) joined Gillon in double figures.
• UALR's bench outscored SGU's reserves 47-to-15, and the Trojans were able to score 35 points off 24 Cavalier turnovers.
• Billings and Osse's efforts were both career highs. Senior Ted Crass came off the bench to score a career-best four points on 2-of-5 shooting in 13 minutes of work.
• UALR held a 44-to-31 advantage in rebounds, with Javes pulling down a team-high seven.
• The Bearcats enter Thursday's game with a 7-0 record and ranked No. 11 in the AP Top 25 and No. 12 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.
• Cincinnati ranks in the top-ten nationally in defensive field goal percentage (4th, 34.1 percent), blocks per game (6th, 7.7 bpg) and scoring margin (7th, 22.7 ppg).
• The Bearcats' scoring offense (82.7 ppg) ranks 11th in the nation.
• Sean Kilpatrick leads UC in scoring at 19.9 ppg and is tied for the team lead in rebounds (6.4 rpg).
• Center Cheikh Mbodj ranks 14th nationally at 2.9 blocks per game.
• Most recently, UC beat Alabama, 58-56, on a buzzer-beater by Cashmere Wright at Fifth Third Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio.
• Like UALR, the Bearcats opened their season with a home win over UT Martin, 80-57, on Nov. 11.
All-Time Against the Bearcats
• Thursday's game will be the first-ever meeting between the two teams.
• Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt selection Will Neighbour had his streak of six-straight games scoring in double figures snapped against St. Gregory's Tuesday night. Neighbour finished the game with a career-best four assists.
• For the season, Neighbour leads UALR in scoring (12.2 ppg) and rebounding (6.3 rpg) and is shooting 52.1 percent from the floor.
• Neighbour tallied his second double-double of the season and fourth of his career with a 14-point, 11-rebound performance against Troy (11/29/12).
• UALR is 3-1 in Neighbour's four career double-double games.
• Neighbour tied career highs in FGM (8) and FGA (15) against Milwaukee (11/19/12).
• Neighbour's 13 boards (2 offensive, 11 defensive) against UT Martin (11/9/12) were a career best.
• Neighbour earned Second Team All-Sun Belt honors as a sophomore in 2011-12 and ranked second on the team in scoring (10.5 ppg) and rebounding (5.3 rpg), while leading the Trojans in three-point shooting (41.3 percent) and made three pointers (43).
Gillon Continues Stellar Play
• Freshman John Gillon ranks second on the team in scoring (12.2 ppg) and leads UALR in three-point shooting (43.9 percent), made three pointers (18) and free throw shooting (87.5 percent).
• Gillon scored 17 points on 6-of-9 shooting, includng 3-of-6 from three-point range, in UALR's win over St. Gregory's.
• Gillon has now scored in double digits four times on the season.
• Gillon's 22 points against UT Martin (11/9/12) were the most by a UALR freshman in their college debut since the Trojans moved to Division I in 1979.
• That record was previously held by UALR's all-time leading scorer, James Scott, who scored 19 in an 88-102 loss to Purdue to start the 1987-88 season.
• Redshirt freshman James White is averaging 9.7 points and 5.6 boards while shooting 51.9 percent from the floor.
• UALR is 6-1 since inserting White into the starting lineup vs. Milwaukee (11/19/12).
• Against Jacksonville (11/21/12), White scored 13 points and set new career highs in rebounds (8) and blocks (3).
• White's 15 blocked shots tie him with teammate Michael Javes for the team lead. The two are tied for seventh in the SBC in blocks per game.
• White has reached double figures in scoring in five games and blocked 2+ shots in four games this season.
• Sophomore Michael Javes now has 59 blocks in 40 career games with 17 multi-block games in that span.
• Javes blocked two shots in UALR's win over St. Gregory's (12/4/12).
• Javes recorded a season-high four blocks vs. SMU (11/24/12).
• Javes ranked sixth in the Sun Belt and led the Trojans with 44 blocked shots (1.5 bpg) in the 2011-12 season.
• UALR's scoring defense (60.3 ppg) currently ranks first in the Sun Belt Conference.
• The Trojans' three-point defense (26.9 percent) ranks second in the SBC. No team has shot better than 37.5 percent from three-point range against UALR this season.
• Over its last six games, UALR is holding its opponents to an average of 53.3 points per game and 26.5 percent shooting from the field.
• The Trojans are 6-0 this season and 81-13 under Steve Shields when holding opponents under 60 points.
• UALR is 6-1 this season and 80-19 under Shields when holding its opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• UALR held St. Gregory's to 23.5 percent shooting from the field (12-of-51) and did not allow the Cavaliers to hit a three-point shot (0-of-13).
Four's the Magic Number
• UALR is 4-0 on the season when four of its players reach double figures in scoring.
• Four Trojans have finished in double figures in wins vs. UT Martin, SMU, Troy and St. Gregory's.
• UALR is averaging just 13.7 turnovers per game this season and has a +2.7 turnover margin.
• The Trojans have committed fewer turnovers than their opponents in seven-straight games and in eight of their ten games this season.
Spreading the Wealth
• UALR is averaging 14.0 assists per game this season and 16.3 per game over its last three wins.
• As a team, UALR sports a 1.0 assist-to-turnover ratio this season.
Leading the Charge
• A major catalyst to UALR's turnaround over the last seven games has been junior Leroy Isler, who has started each of the last seven games at shooting guard.
• Since being inserted into the starting lineup, Isler has averaged 8.9 points and 5.6 rebounds on 46.7 percent shooting from the field and 40.0 percent from three-point range.
• A major key to the Trojans' development this season will be their ability to replace All-Sun Belt point guard D'Andre Williams (2010-12).
• Freshman John Gillon has started the last eight games at point guard and is averaging 11.4 points, 2.6 assists and 2.4 rebounds in 23.1 minutes per game.
• Freshman Josh Hagins started UALR's first two games at point guard and is averaging 5.0 points, 2.7 assists and 2.5 rebounds in 21.0 minutes per game.
• Sophomore Taggart Lockhart has seen his minutes increase to 23.5 per game this season, up from 15.5 as a freshman in 2011-12.
• Lockhart set new career highs in points (14), FGM (6) and FGA (11) in UALR's win vs. Jacksonville (11/21/12).
• Through ten games, Lockhart is averaging 6.6 points and 3.3 rebounds and is shooting 43.8 percent from the field.
The Small Screen
• UALR's game at North Texas on Jan. 26 has been selected as a Wildcard game by ESPN. As the date draws closer, ESPN will elect to televise either the game between UALR and North Texas, or Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee.
• The Sun Belt Network will visit the JSC on Jan. 12 to televise the game between UALR and FIU at 3:30 p.m.
• Sun Belt Network games are carried by Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) and Cox Sports Television (CST) and will likely be available through ESPN3 and ESPN's Full Court package.
• The Trojans also have a TV game lined up at Cincinnati on Dec. 6 (Fox Sports Ohio), as well as an ESPN3 game against Middle Tennessee on Jan. 17 in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• UALR will have a nine-day break before hosting Tulsa at the Jack Stephens Center on Saturday, Dec. 15.