GM14 // UALR (8-5, 2-0 SBC) at South Alabama (5-5, 2-0 SBC)
Saturday, Dec. 22, 2012 • 2:05 PM (CST)
Mobile, Ala. • Mitchell Center (10,000)
Radio: KABZ - 103.7 FM
Radio Talent: Phil Elson (PXP)
Live Video: USAJaguars.com
Live Stats: USAJaguars.com
2012-13 Record: 8-5
Road Record: 0-3
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 155-133
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: John Gillon (11.5)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (6.1)
Assists: John Gillon (2.7)
Steals: Isler/Neighbour (1.3)
Blocks: James White (1.5)
South Alabama Jaguars
2012-13 Record: 5-5
Home Record: 2-1
Head Coach: Jeff Price (1st year)
Record at South Alabama: 0-0
Career Record: 318-188 (17 seasons)
South Alabama Statistical Leaders
Points: Augustine Rubit (18.9)
Rebounds: Augustine Rubit (10.3)
Assists: Freddie Goldstein (2.6)
Steals: Antoine Allen (1.6)
Blocks: Javier Carter (2.6)
• UALR will be looking for its first true road win of the season on Saturday when it plays at South Alabama. UALR is currently 0-3 in true road games with one neutral site victory (SMU).
• UALR and South Alabama are both 2-0 in SBC play entering Saturday's matchup.
• UALR is 33-39 in road SBC games in the tenure of head coach Steve Shields.
• In Shields' nine full seasons as head coach, four of his teams have produced .500 or better road records in conference play.
• UALR's defensive field goal percentage (39.8 percent) and 3FG defensive percentage (26.8 percent) are both tops in the Sun Belt.
• The Trojans have held six of their 13 opponents this season to fewer than 60 points and are 6-0 in such games.
• UALR has held eight of its opponents below 40 percent shooting and is 6-2 in such games.
• Under Shields, UALR is 81-13 when keeping opponents under 60 points, and 81-20 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• Junior Will Neighbour is second on the team in scoring (11.1 ppg) and leads UALR in rebounding (6.1 rpg) and is shooting 50.4 percent from the floor.
• Freshman John Gillon leads UALR in scoring (11.5 ppg) and assists (2.7 apg).
Louisiana Tech Recap
• Louisiana Tech (9-3) made up for a 7-for-26 effort (26.9 percent) from the field in the second half by knocking down 20-of-25 free throws over the final 20 minutes to hand UALR (8-5) its first home loss of the season Monday night at the Jack Stephens Center.
• The Bulldogs finished the game shooting just 36.2 percent from the field (21-of-58) and 29.2 percent from long range (7-of-24) but parlayed 19 offensive rebounds into a 20-3 advantage in second-chance points.
• Gillon led UALR with 15 points on 5-of-10 shooting from the field and a perfect 4-of-4 effort from the line.
• Junior Leroy Isler chipped in with 11 points, and sophomore Taggart Lockhart scored nine on 4-of-6 shooting. Hagins scored eight points and collected four assists, while sophomore Michael Javes led the Trojans' with seven rebounds on the night.
• UALR finished the night shooting 44.6 percent from the floor (25-of-56) and 72.0 percent from the foul line (18-of-25), but couldn't overcome a -12 margin on the boards and the Bulldogs' +17 advantage in second-chance points.
About South Alabama
• The Jaguars enter Saturday's game with a 5-5 overall record and a 2-0 mark in Sun Belt play. South Alabama and UALR are two of three teams with perfect records in conference play, with WKU being the third.
• South Alabama is led by forward Augustin Rubit, who leads the Sun Belt in rebounding (10.3 rpg) and ranks second in scoring (18.9 ppg).
• Rubit is coming off a performance against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi that saw him score 23 points and tie a career high with 19 rebounds. Rubit was named SBC Player of the Week for his efforts.
• As a team, South Alabama leads the Sun Belt in scoring offense (71.9 ppg) and ranks third in rebounding margin (+2.9). The Jaguars rank second in the league in free throw percentage (73.2 percent) and lead the league in blocked shots (5.0 bpg).
• The Jaguars are 2-1 at home this season and most recently topped Texas A&M-Corpus Christi by a 74-69 final on Dec. 16.
All-Time Against the Jaguars
• South Alabama leads 23-14 in the all-time series between the two teams, but UALR has won two straight coming into Saturday.
• The Jaguars lead the series 10-4 in games played in Mobile, Ala.
• Last year, UALR beat South Alabama 75-50 in Little Rock thanks to a 10-of-22 effort from three-point range (45.5 percent).
• Will Neighbour scored 10 points in 19 minutes and Michael Javes scored eight points, blocked two shots and grabbed eight rebounds.
• Rubit led South Alabama with 22 points and seven rebounds.
• In terms of the percentage of minutes played by class, UALR is the least-experienced team in NCAA Division I.
• According to StatSheet.com, UALR plays its freshmen and sophomores a higher percentage of the team's total minutes than any other team in Division I.
• Eight of UALR's top ten in terms of minutes played are either freshmen or sophomores.
• According to a nationwide survey conducted by the Naval Academy media relations office, UALR's roster is the seventh-youngest in the country.
• UALR has 16 active players with 13 years of playing experience for an average of 0.81 years per player.
• The four teams that have handed UALR its five losses have a combined record of 35-7.
Early RPI Report
• UALR (111) sports the third-best RPI in the Sun Belt, according to RPIRatings.com.
• Middle Tennessee (61) leads all SBC teams, followed by WKU (65).
• Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt selection Will Neighbour has reached double figures in scoring eight times in 13 games this season.
• For the season, Neighbour is averaging 11.1 points and 6.1 rebounds per game while shooting 50.4 percent from the floor.
• Neighbour has led UALR in scoring on five different occasions this season and has led the team in rebounding in six games.
• Neighbour has two double-doubles on the season: a 14-point, 11-rebound effort vs. Troy (11/29/12) and a 13-point, 13-rebound effort vs. UT Martin (11/9/12).
• Neighbour's 13 boards (2 offensive, 11 defensive) against UT Martin (11/9/12) were a career best.
• UALR is 3-1 in Neighbour's four career double-double games.
Gillon Continues Stellar Play
• Freshman John Gillon leads UALR in scoring (11.5 ppg), assists (2.7 apg), three-point shooting (44.0 percent), made three pointers (22) and free throw shooting (84.0 percent).
• Most recently, Gillon scored 15 points on 5-of-10 shooting vs. Louisiana Tech (12/17/12).
• Gillon has reached double figures in scoring six times and led the Trojans in scoring five times on the season.
• The Houston, Texas-native has hit three three pointers in four games this season.
• Gillon's 22 points against UT Martin (11/9/12) were the most by a UALR freshman in their college debut since the Trojans moved to Division I in 1979, a record previously held by the UALR's all-time leading scorer, James Scott (1987-91).
• Redshirt freshman James White is averaging 9.7 points and 5.2 boards while shooting a team-best 52.9 percent from the floor.
• White's shooting percentage of 52.9 ranks fourth in the Sun Belt Conference.
• UALR is 6-2 in White's eight starts this season.
• White's 19 blocked shots lead the team and rank sixth in the Sun Belt.
• White has reached double figures in scoring in seven games and blocked 2+ shots in six games this season.
Two's Company, Three's Perfect
• UALR is 7-1 on the season when at least three Trojans finish in double figures.
• Sophomore Michael Javes sits in eighth place all-time at UALR with 60 blocks in 43 career games.
• Javes has 17 multi-block games in that span.
• Javes has blocked 2+ shots in six different games this season.
• Javes recorded a season-high four blocks vs. SMU (11/24/12).
• Javes' 17 blocks this season currently rank tenth in the Sun Belt.
• Javes' 44 blocked shots as a freshman were the seventh-most in a single season in school history.
• UALR's scoring defense (63.8 ppg) currently ranks third in the Sun Belt Conference.
• UALR's defensive field goal percentage (39.8 percent) is tops in the league.
• The Trojans' three-point defense (26.8 percent) also ranks first in the SBC. No team has shot better than 37.5 percent from three-point range against UALR this season.
• The Trojans are 6-0 this season and 81-13 under Steve Shields when holding opponents under 60 points.
• UALR is 6-2 this season and 81-20 under Shields when holding its opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• UALR is 7-0 this season when outscoring its opponent at the free throw line and 1-0 when free throws are tied.
• Conversely, UALR is 0-5 when it is outscored at the free throw line.
• UALR is averaging 15.1 points per game from the foul line.
• The Trojans are shooting 66.0 percent from the line and have shot 297 free throws on the season, compared to 270 attempts by their opponents.
• UALR is averaging 15.7 turnovers per game this season and has a +0.9 turnover margin.
• In three true road games, UALR is averaging 23.7 turnovers per game with a -10.0 turnover margin.
• UALR has committed fewer or the same number of turnovers than its opponent in ten of 13 games this season, including all eight home games.
• The Trojans are 7-1 when committing fewer turnovers than their opponents this year and are 1-1 when turnovers are even.
Spreading the Wealth
• UALR's 13.5 assists per game this season currently rank second in the Sun Belt.
• Freshman John Gillon leads the Trojans at 2.7 assists per game.
• In eight home games, the Trojans are averaging 14.6 assists per game.
• UALR will play at Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday, Dec. 29.