GM19 // UALR (10-8, 4-3 SBC) vs. FIU (8-7, 3-3 SBC)
Saturday, Jan. 12, 2013 • 3:30 PM (CST)
Little Rock, Ark. • Jack Stephens Center (5,600)
Television: Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS)/ESPN3/ESPN Full Court
TV Talent: Tom Dore (PXP) & Bob Donewald (Analyst)
Radio: KHLR - 106.7 FM
Online Radio: Heartbeat1067.com
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP) & Pat Bradley (Analyst)
Live Video: UALRTrojans.com
Live Stats: UALRTrojans.com
Series (Overall): UALR leads, 16-8
Series (in Little Rock): UALR leads, 9-2
Current Streak: UALR, 2 wins
Last Meeting: 2/16/12 - UALR, 78-64
Shields Record vs. FIU: 9-5
2012-13 Record: 10-8
Home Record: 9-1
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 157-136
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Will Neighbour (11.2)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (6.9)
Assists: Josh Hagins (2.8)
Steals: Leroy Isler (1.6)
Blocks: James White (1.2)
2012-13 Record: 8-7
Road Record: 4-5
Head Coach: Richard Pitino (1st year)
Record at FIU: 8-7
Career Record: Same
FIU Statistical Leaders
Points: Tymell Murphy (15.1)
Rebounds: Tymell Murphy (7.7)
Assists: Deric Hill (2.8)
Steals: Deric Hill (2.0)
Blocks: Tymell Murphy (1.1)
• In terms of minutes played by class, UALR is the youngest team in the nation. Nine of UALR's first 11 players (by minutes played) are freshmen and sophomores.
• UALR has played the fifth-most games in the country (18) at this point in the season.
• UALR is 9-1 at home this season and 101-41 in the tenure of head coach Steve Shields.
• UALR is currently 0-6 on the road with one neutral court victory (SMU).
• UALR leads 16-8 in the all-time series vs. FIU and has won two-straight entering Saturday's matchup.
• UALR leads the SBC in free throws made (264) and attempted (406) on the season and is averaging 14.7 points per game from the foul line. The Trojans' 406 free throw attempts also rank ninth nationally.
• Both UALR's' defensive field goal percentage (41.2 percent) and its defensive three-point field goal percentage (29.3 percent) rank second in the Sun Belt.
• UALR is 10-1 on the season when holding opponents under 70 points and 0-7 when surrendering 70 or more.
• UALR has held eight of its opponents below 40 percent shooting and is 6-2 in such games.
• Under Shields, UALR is 137-54 when holding opponents below 70 points and 81-20 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• Junior Will Neighbour leads UALR in scoring (11.2 ppg) and rebounding (6.9 rpg). Those numbers jump to 12.1 ppg and 8.9 rpg in conference games.
• Freshman Josh Hagins is averaging 9.3 points, 5.7 assists and 4.0 steals per game while shooting 50 percent from the floor (12-of-24) since being inserted into the starting lineup vs. Western Kentucky.
North Texas Recap
• Trailing 32-27 at the break, UALR (10-8, 4-3 SBC) came out of halftime and shot 60 percent (18-of-30) from the floor and outscored North Texas 40-to-21 over the final 20 minutes to earn a 67-53 win against the Mean Green (6-11, 1-5 SBC) Thursday night at the Jack Stephens Center.
• Freshman James White led all scorers with 16 points on 7-of-12 shooting.
• Freshman Josh Hagins chipped in 11 points on 5-of-9 shooting and garnered career bests in assists (8), steals (6) and blocks (2).
• Junior Will Neighbour narrowly missed his fourth double-double of the season, finishing with nine points, 11 rebounds and a season-high three blocks.
• As a team, UALR finished the night shooting 50.9 percent from the field (29-of-57), marking the fourth time this season UALR has hit over half its shots from the floor.
• The Trojans finished the night shooting 55.6 percent from three-point range (5-of-9), and their 18 assists on 29 made buckets were one off a season high.
• FIU enters Saturday's matchup at 8-7 overall and 3-3 in Sun Belt play after picking up its fourth-straight win at Arkansas State on Thursday night.
• The Panthers started their winning streak on Jan. 2 at home against Florida A&M, and followed that up with wins over Louisiana-Lafayette (Jan. 5), Bethune-Cookman (Jan. 7) and ASU.
• FIU sports the fourth-ranked scoring offense in the league (60.4 ppg) and ranks second in the conference in steals per game (9.1).
• Head coach Richard Pitino is in his first season with FIU after spending three seasons as an assistant at Louisville.
All-Time Against the Panthers
• UALR leads 15-8 in the all-time series against FIU, including 9-2 in games played in Little Rock.
• The last time these two teams met, the Trojans topped the Panthers 78-64 at the Jack Stephens Center on Feb. 16, 2012. Will Neighbour (21 points) led four Trojans in double figures and the UALR defense held FIU to 30.5 percent shooting from the field in the win.
• Head coach Steve Shields is 9-5 all-time against the Panthers.
• In terms of the percentage of minutes played by class, UALR is the least-experienced team in NCAA Division I.
• According to StatSheet.com, UALR plays its freshmen and sophomores a higher percentage of the team's total minutes than any other team in Division I.
• Nine of UALR's eleven players averaging 7+ minutes are either freshmen or sophomores.
• According to a nationwide survey conducted by the Naval Academy media relations office, UALR's roster is the seventh-youngest in the country.
• UALR has 16 active players with 13 years of playing experience for an average of 0.81 years per player.
Keep it Under 70
• UALR is 0-7 on the season when allowing 70+ points. The Trojans are 10-1 when holding opponents under 70 points.
Early RPI Report
• UALR checks in at No. 189 in the latest RPI rankings by NCAA.com.
• Middle Tennessee (43) leads all SBC teams, followed by WKU (108) and Arkansas State (135).
Sun Belt Conference Race
• Following Thursday night's win over North Texas, UALR finds itself at 4-3 in conference play and tied for first in the Sun Belt West Division with in-state rival Arkansas State.
• Middle Tennessee leads the East Division at 5-1.
• Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt selection Will Neighbour posted his fifth career double-double with 17 points and a career-best 14 rebounds at Louisiana-Lafayette (12/29/12).
• Neighbour's three double-doubles this season are tied for seventh-most in the Sun Belt.
• Neighbour has reached double figures in scoring 11 times in 18 games this season.
• Neighbour currently ranks ninth in the Sun Belt in rebounding (6.9 rpg) and is averaging 11.2 ppg while shooting 47.0 percent from the field.
• In SBC games only, Neighbour's numbers jump to 12.1 ppg and 8.9 rpg.
• His 8.9 rpg in league games rank third in the Sun Belt, while his 26 offensive rebounds in league games (3.7 per game) tie him for first in the conference.
• Neighbour has led UALR in scoring seven times this season and has led the team in rebounding in 11 games.
• Neighbour has two other double-doubles on the season: a 14-point, 11-rebound effort vs. Troy (11/29/12) and a 13-point, 13-rebound effort vs. UT Martin (11/9/12).
• In 45 career games, Neighbour has reached double figures in scoring 26 times, grabbed 5+ rebounds 31 times and blocked 2+ shots 11 times.
Gillon Continues Stellar Play
• Freshman John Gillon ranks second on UALR in scoring (10.8 ppg), and leads the Trojans in made three pointers (25) and free throw shooting (84.5 percent).
• Gillon's 84.5 percent shooting clip at the foul line leads the Sun Belt Conference.
• Gillon has reached double figures in scoring seven times and has led the Trojans in scoring six times on the season.
• The Houston, Texas-native has knocked down three treys in four different games this season.
• Gillon's 22 points against UT Martin (11/9/12) were the most by a UALR freshman in their college debut since the Trojans moved to Division I in 1979, a record previously held by the UALR's all-time leading scorer, James Scott (1987-91).
• Redshirt freshman James White is averaging 9.2 points and 4.4 boards on the season.
• White's shooting percentage of 52.6 ranks sixth in the Sun Belt Conference.
• White's 21 blocked shots lead the team and rank eighth in the Sun Belt Conference.
• White has reached double figures in scoring in eight games and blocked 2+ shots in six games this season. White has blocked at least one shot in 14 of 18 games this season.
• UALR is 7-1 when White scores 10+ points and 4-2 when he blocks 2+ shots.
• The Jonesboro, Ga.-native has grabbed 5+ rebounds in nine games this year and UALR is 6-3 in such games.
• Sophomore Michael Javes sits in eighth place all-time at UALR with 64 blocks in 48 career games.
• Javes has 18 multi-block games in his career with the Trojans, and UALR is 11-7 in such games.
• Javes has blocked 2+ shots in seven different games this season.
• Javes' 20 blocks this season currently tie him with teammate Will Neighbour for 11th in the Sun Belt.
• Javes' 44 blocked shots as a freshman were the seventh-most in a single season in school history.
Leading the Charge
• UALR has been most successful this season when junior Leroy Isler is playing his best.
• One of UALR's best defenders, the Trojans are 6-1 when Isler has 2+ steals in a game.
• UALR is 4-1 when Isler grabs 5+ rebounds.
• The Trojans are 5-2 when Isler scores 10+ points.
• Isler is averaging 11.0 points and 3.3 steals while shooting 52.4 percent from the floor (11-of-21) over his last three games.
Double Figure Scoring
• UALR is 4-0 on the season when at least four Trojans finish the game in double figures.
• UALR's scoring defense (65.2 ppg) currently ranks second in the Sun Belt Conference.
• Both UALR's defensive FG percentage (41.2 percent) and its defensive 3FG percentage (29.3 percent) rank second in the league.
• The Trojans are 10-1 this season and 137-54 under Shields when holding opponents under 70 points.
• UALR is 6-2 this season and 81-20 under Shields when holding its opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• UALR is 8-1 this season when outscoring its opponent at the free throw line and 1-0 when free throws are tied.
• Conversely, UALR is 1-7 when it is outscored at the free throw line.
• UALR leads the Sun Belt in free throws made (264) and attempted (406) on the season and is averaging 14.7 points per game from the foul line.
• The Trojans are shooting 65.0 percent from the line and have shot 406 free throws on the season, compared to 372 attempts by their opponents.
• UALR is averaging 14.9 turnovers per game this season and currently has a +1.2 turnover margin on the season.
• In games played at home, UALR is averaging just 13.4 turnovers per game and has a +4.9 turnover margin.
• UALR has committed fewer or the same number of turnovers than its opponent in 13 of 18 games this season, including all ten home games.
• The Trojans are 9-2 when committing fewer turnovers than their opponents this year, 1-1 when turnovers are even and 0-5 when committing more turnovers than their opponents.
Spreading the Wealth
• UALR's 13.1 assists per game this season currently rank second in the Sun Belt.
• Freshman Josh Hagins leads the Trojans at 2.8 assists per game.
• UALR is averaging 15.0 assists per contest in games played at the Jack Stephens Center.
Osse Coming on Strong
• Freshman Kemy Osse finished with 11 points, three rebounds, two steals and no turnovers in his first career start at South Alabama (12/22/12).
• Osse has appeared in all 18 games, and has just nine turnovers in 189 minutes of action this season.
• Sophomore Taggart Lockhart has seen his minutes increase to 23.4 per game this year, up from 15.5 as a freshman in 2011-12, and has started nine of 18 games this season.
• Lockhart set new career highs in points (14), FGM (6) and FGA (11) in UALR's win vs. Jacksonville (11/21/12).
• Lockhart is averaging 6.2 points and 2.9 rebounds and is shooting 44.7 percent from the field.
• Sophomore forward Gus Leeper recently returned to the UALR lineup after missing 10 games due to a leg injury following the Trojans' season opener vs. UT Martin (11/9/12).
• In UALR's most recent game against WKU, head coach Steve Shields used a starting lineup of Hagins, Isler, Dillard, Neighbour and Javes vs. North Texas on Jan. 10 - the team's seventh different starting combination this season.
• UALR has used the starting lineup of Gillon, Isler, White, Neighbour and Javes in eight games this season - the most of any starting lineup combination so far.
• Neighbour and Javes are the only two Trojans to have started all 18 games this season.
• UALR will play a pair of road Sun Belt Conference road games at Middle Tennessee (Jan. 17) and Western Kentucky (Jan. 19).