GM24 // UALR (14-9, 8-4 SBC) vs. South Alabama (11-9, 8-4 SBC)
Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013 • 7 PM (CST)
Little Rock, Ark. • Jack Stephens Center (5,600)
Radio: KABZ - 103.7 FM
Online Radio: 1037TheBuzz.com
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP) & Pat Bradley (Analyst)
Live Video: UALRTrojans.com
Live Stats: UALRTrojans.com
Series (Overall): USA leads, 24-14
Series (at UALR): UALR leads, 9-7
Current Streak: USA, 1 win
Last Meeting: 12/22/12 - USA, 77-62
Shields Record vs. USA: 5-8
2012-13 Record: 14-9
Home Record: 11-1
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 161-137
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Will Neighbour (11.6)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (6.9)
Assists: Josh Hagins (3.2)
Steals: Leroy Isler (1.6)
Blocks: Michael Javes (1.2)
South Alabama Jaguars
2012-13 Record: 11-9
Road Record: 5-4
Head Coach: Jeff Price (1st year)
Record at USA: 6-4
Career Record: 299-190
South Alabama Statistical Leaders
Points: Augustine Rubit (19.1)
Rebounds: Augustine Rubit (10.8)
Assists: Freddie Goldstein (2.5)
Steals: Antoine Allen (1.3)
Blocks: Javier Carter (2.2)
• In its last home game, UALR had its biggest come-from-behind win of the Steve Shields era vs. FAU on Jan. 24, as the Trojans rallied from a 22-point deficit to defeat the Owls 65-62 at the Jack Stephens Center.
• The Trojans are now 11-1 at home this season and 103-41 at home since Shields took over in 2003.
• In terms of minutes played by class, UALR is the least-experienced team in the nation. Nine of UALR's top 11 players (by minutes played) are freshmen and sophomores.
• UALR has played the fourth-most games in the country (23) at this point in the season.
• UALR is 13-1 on the season when holding opponents under 70 points and 1-8 when surrendering 70 or more.
• Under Shields, UALR is 140-54 when holding opponents below 70 points and 83-20 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• Shields is second among active coaches in career Sun Belt Conference wins (89). Middle Tennessee's Kermit Davis (109) ranks first.
• Junior Will Neighbour leads UALR in scoring (11.6 ppg) and rebounding (6.9 rpg). Those numbers increase to 12.5 ppg and 8.0 rpg in conference games.
• Neighbour was named the SBC Player of the Week on Monday after averaging 17.5 points and 8.5 rebounds on 66.7 percent shooting from the field in wins over FAU and North Texas last week.
• Sophomore Michael Javes is four blocks shy of tying Gilbert Maxwell (1979-81) for sixth place on UALR's all-time blocks list. Javes leads UALR with 27 blocks this season and has 71 for his career.
• Freshman Josh Hagins is averaging 10.5 points, 4.6 assists, 2.6 rebounds and 2.1 steals per game while shooting 54.2 percent from the floor since being inserted into the starting lineup vs. Western Kentucky (1/3/13).
More Quick Hits
• After losing its first seven true road games of the season, the Trojans have now captured back-to-back wins away from the Jack Stephens Center for the first time since earning victories at ULM (Jan. 12, 2012) and Arkansas State (Jan 14, 2012) last year.
• In UALR's wins at WKU and North Texas, the Trojans defense held the two opponents to 55.5 points per game, a combined 33.7 percent shooting from the field and 30.6 percent from three-point range.
• UALR's game against FAU on Jan. 24 was the first time all season UALR won despite having a lower field goal percentage than its opponent. The Trojans made up for their shooting woes with a +15 advantage at the FT line.
• The win against FAU was also just the 10th victory of the Shields era in which a UALR opponent finished the game shooting better than 50 percent from the field.
• UALR put five players in double figures for the first time this season in its win over FIU (1/12/13). The Trojans are 7-1 under Shields when five players finish in double figures.
• UALR is 5-0 on the season when at least four Trojans finish in double figures.
• UALR currently ranks second in the Sun Belt Conference in offensive field goal percentage (43.2 percent), and third in three-point field goal percentage (35.5 percent).
• Other current UALR ranks amongst SBC teams: second in assists (12.4 apg), third in assist-to-turnover ratio (0.8), fourth in blocks (4.1 bpg), fourth in steals (7.5 spg) and fourth in turnover margin (+1.4).
• The Trojans have won five games this season in which they were trailing at halftime.
• UALR is a win away from matching its season total for wins (15) from all of last year.
Last Time Out
• UALR (14-9, 8-4 SBC) captured its third-straight win overall and earned the season sweep of North Texas (8-14, 3-8 SBC) with a 62-57 win on Saturday at the Super Pit in Denton, Texas.
• Neighbour and freshmen Josh Hagins and James White led UALR with 11 points apiece. Neighbour rounded out his line with team highs in rebounds (6) and steals (4). Junior Leroy Isler added nine points and a steal.
• UALR held North Texas to just 34.6 percent shooting from the field (21-of-51) and 31.8 percent from three-point range (7-of-22). The Trojans shot 41.2 percent from the floor (21-of-51) on the night and 46.2 percent from long range (6-of-13).
• UALR's bench outscored the North Texas reserves, 24-0, led by White's 11 and eight points from freshman John Gillon.
About South Alabama
• South Alabama sits at 11-9 overall and 8-4 in SBC play heading into Saturday's contest. The Jaguars sit in second place in the league's East Division behind Middle Tennessee.
• USA is led by Preseason First Team All-SBC selection Augustine Rubit, who leads the league in rebounding (10.8 rpg) and ranks second in scoring (19.1 ppg).
• The last time out, the Jaguars had its three-game win streak snapped at Arkansas State. Rubit led the Jaguars with 18 points (12-of-12 at the FT line) and nine rebounds in a losing effort.
• Interim head coach Jeff Price is 6-4 since taking over earlier this season following the retirement of Ronnie Arrow.
All-Time Against the Jaguars
• South Alabama leads 24-19 in the all-time series, while UALR leads 9-7 in games played in Little Rock.
• The Trojans had their two-game win streak against the Jaguars snapped on Dec. 22 in Mobile, as Augustine Rubit (19 points, 10 rebounds) led USA to a 77-62 victory at the Mitchell Center.
• Gillon (14 points) led three UALR players in double figures, while Neighbour (11 points, nine rebounds) finished the night one rebound shy of a double-double.
• In what was Jeff Price's first game as interim head coach, South Alabama finished the game shooting 47.3 percent from the field, while UALR was held to just 38.2 percent shooting on the night.
• Head coach Steve Shields is 5-8 all-time against South Alabama.