GM26 // UALR (15-10, 9-5 SBC) at Arkansas State (15-9, 9-6 SBC)
Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013 • 7:05 PM (CST)
Jonesboro, Ark. • Convocation Center (10,038)
Radio: KABZ - 103.7 FM
Online Radio: 1037TheBuzz.com
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP) & Jared Johnson (Analyst)
Live Video: AStateRedWolves.com
Live Stats: AStateRedWolves.com
Series (Overall): ASU leads, 46-28
Series (at ASU): ASU leads, 20-8
Current Streak: UALR, 3 wins
Last Meeting: UALR, 62-60 (2/25/12)
Shields Record vs. ASU: 10-11
2012-13 Record: 15-10
Road Record: 3-7
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 162-138
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Will Neighbour (11.4)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (7.0)
Assists: Josh Hagins (3.1)
Steals: Leroy Isler (1.5)
Blocks: Javes/White (1.1)
Arkansas State Red Wolves
2012-13 Record: 15-9
Home Record: 11-2
Head Coach: John Brady (5th year)
Record at ASU: 76-75
Career Record: 357-291 (22nd year)
Arkansas State Statistical Leaders
Points: Ed Townsel (14.0)
Rebounds: Brandon Peterson (9.6)
Assists: Rakeem Dickerson (2.3)
Steals: Ed Townsel (1.8)
Blocks: Brandon Peterson (1.2)
• Sole possession of first place in the Sun Belt Conference West Division is on the line Thursday when UALR takes on Arkansas State. The Trojans (9-5 SBC) currently hold a half-game lead over the Red Wolves (9-6 SBC).
• The meeting is the first of two this season, as UALR and ASU will also play in the regular season finale on March 2.
• After losing its first seven true road games of the season, the Trojans have now captured three-straight wins away from the Jack Stephens Center.
• In its three road wins, UALR is shooting 45.4 percent from the floor and 40.5 percent from three-point range, while limiting its opponents to 36.9 percent and 32.7 percent, respectively.
• In terms of minutes played by class, UALR is the least-experienced team in the nation. Nine of UALR's top 11 players (by minutes played) are freshmen and sophomores.
• UALR is 14-1 on the season when holding opponents under 70 points and 1-9 when surrendering 70 or more.
• Under Shields, UALR is 141-54 when holding opponents below 70 points and 83-20 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• Shields is second among active coaches in career SBC wins (90). Middle Tennessee's Kermit Davis (111) ranks first.
• Junior Will Neighbour leads UALR in scoring (11.4 ppg) and rebounding (7.0 rpg). Those numbers increase to 11.9 ppg and 8.0 rpg in conference games.
• Sophomore Michael Javes is four blocks shy of tying Gilbert Maxwell (1979-81) for sixth place on UALR's all-time blocks list. Javes leads UALR with 27 blocks this season and has 71 for his career.
• Freshman Josh Hagins is averaging 11.1 points, 4.1 assists, 2.8 rebounds and 1.9 steals per game while shooting 53.9 percent from the floor since being inserted into the starting lineup vs. Western Kentucky (1/3/13).
• Strong starts on the road have been key for the Trojans, as they have outscored their opponents by an average of 6.3 points in the first halves of their three road wins.
• The Trojans also boast a +2.3 turnover margin in their three road wins.
• The Trojans are now 11-2 at home this season and 103-42 at home since Shields took over in 2003.
• UALR is 5-0 on the season when at least four Trojans finish in double figures.
• UALR currently ranks third in the Sun Belt Conference in offensive field goal percentage (43.1 percent) and three-point field goal percentage (35.6 percent).
• The Trojans rank second in the conference in defensive field goal percentage (41.7 percent) and fifth in defensive three-point field goal percentage (35.6 percent).
• Other current UALR ranks amongst SBC teams: third in assists (12.2 apg), fourth in assist-to-turnover ratio (0.8), fourth in blocks (3.9 bpg), seventh in steals (7.2 spg) and fifth in turnover margin (+1.32).
• The Trojans have won five games this season in which they trailed at halftime.
• UALR has finished even or better in points-in-the-paint in ten of its last 11 games.
• UALR has already matched its season total for wins (15) from all of last season.
• In games won this season, UALR is averaging 14.1 assists per game, compared to 9.2 apg in its losses.
• The Trojans are averaging nearly five fewer turnovers per game in wins this season (13.2) than in losses (17.9).
• Junior Will Neighbour has led or tied for the team lead in rebounding in 11 of the last 12 games.
• Sophomore Gus Leeper scored a career-best 12 points and grabbed six rebounds in UALR's win at ULM (2/7/13). Leeper is shooting 81.0 percent from the foul line this season.
• Sophomore Ben Dillard is shooting 50.0 percent from three-point range in Sun Belt games. Dillard is shooting 66.7 percent from long range over his last three games.
• Junior Leroy Isler has at least one steal in ten of his last 11 games.
• Freshman Josh Hagins' shooting numbers in conference play: 51.5 percent from the field, 39.5 percent from three-point range, 82.1 percent from the free throw line.
• Hagins' numbers in UALR's three road wins: 13.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg and 4.0 apg on 60.9 percent shooting from the floor, 50.0 percent from three and 85.7 percent from the foul line.
• Hagins has made at least one three pointer in six-straight games and in 10 of his last 11.
Last Time Out
• UALR regained sole possession of first place in the SBC's West Division with a 70-60 win at ULM on Thursday, Feb. 7. The Trojans finished the night shooting 49.0 percent from the field (24-of-49) and 60.0 percent from three-point range (6-of-10).
• UALR made up for 15 turnovers by playing to a +9 advantage on the boards (34-to-25) and holding a 10-to-1 edge in second-chance points. The Trojans added a 17-to-8 edge in points off turnovers.
• Hagins led the Trojans in scoring and reached double figures for the eighth time in nine games with 14 points on 5-of-8 shooting.
• Leeper came off the bench to score a career-best 12 points to go along with six rebounds. Neighbour contributed 11 points and six boards to give the Trojans three players in double figures.
About Arkansas State
• Arkansas State (15-9, 9-6 SBC) will enter Thursday's matchup having won four of their last five games, with their only loss in that span coming against league-leading Middle Tennessee on Feb. 7.
• The Red Wolves are 11-2 at home this season.
• Arkansas State is the best offensive rebounding team in the league, pullind down an average of 13.4 offensive boards per game. ASU also sports the second-ranked scoring defense in the conference (62.7 ppg) and boasts the best turnover margin in the league (+3.58).
• Ed Townsel (14.0 ppg) leads three Red Wolves averaging double figures in scoring. Brandon Peterson ranks third in the Sun Belt with 9.6 rebounds per game.
All-Time Against the Red Wolves
• Arkansas State leads 46-28 in the all-time series, including 20-8 in games played in Jonesboro.
• UALR has won three straight and swept the 2012-13 season series by a total of three points, winning 63-62 in Jonesboro (1/14/12) before earning a 62-60 win in Little Rock (2/25/12).
• In the most recent matchup, UALR trailed by as many as 12 points in the second half but rallied to earn a 62-60 win and an outright SBC West Division Championship. Tramar Sutherland (2010-12) sank two free throws with 0.8 seconds remaining to seal the come-from-behind victory.
• Head coach Steve Shields is 10-11 all-time against the Red Wolves.