– UALR will play its third home game of the season when it takes on UAFS on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Jack Stephens Center. After falling at Oklahoma on Friday, the Trojans will be looking for their third win in four games when they play host to the Lions.
Tuesday’s matchup will be the first time UALR (2-4) and UAFS (6-0) have squared off since the 1953-54 season. The series dates as far back as the 1931-32 season, when what was then Little Rock Junior College was in just its fifth year of existence. UAFS head coach Josh Newman spent one season (1999-00) under UALR head coach Steve Shields while Shields was head coach at McLennan CC.
Tickets for Tuesday’s game with UAFS are available through the UALR Ticket Office by calling 565-UALR or visiting UALRTrojans.com. Season ticket packages for the 2013-14 season start as low as $165 and include all UALR men’s and women’s basketball home games. UALR students receive free admission and a free soda and hot dog to all home games if they show a valid UALR Student ID.
GM7 // UALR (2-4) vs. UAFS (6-0)
Tuesday, Dec. 3 • 7 PM (CST)
Little Rock, Ark. • Jack Stephens Center (5,600)
Radio: KHLR - 106.7 FM
Online Radio: Heartbeat1067.com
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP) & Pat Bradley (Analyst)
Live Stats: UALRTrojans.com
Live Video: UALRTrojans.com
Home Record: 1-1
Head Coach: Steve Shields (11th year)
Record at UALR: 166-147
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Will Neighbour (18.3)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (7.7)
Assists: Josh Hagins (3.5)
Steals: Will Neighbour (1.5)
Blocks: James White (1.0)
Road Record: 2-0
Head Coach: Josh Newman (8th year)
Record at UAFS: 137-79
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Seth Youngblood (16.8)
Rebounds: Kenny Martin (7.7)
Assists: Xavier McClish (3.3)
Steals: Tramel White (1.0)
Blocks: Kenny Martin (2.5)
Series (Overall): UALR leads 7-2
Series (at UALR): Unavailable
Current Streak: UALR won 3
Last Meeting: 1953-54 – UALR, 88-45
Shields Record vs. UAFS: 0-0
• UALR and UAFS will go head-to-head for the first time since the 1953-54 season on Tuesday night. The series dates as far back as the 1931-32 season, when Little Rock Junior College was in just its fifth year of existence.
• UAFS head coach Josh Newman spent one season (1999-00) under UALR head coach Steve Shields while Shields was head coach at McLennan CC.
• UALR had its two-game win streak snapped with a 101-81 loss at Oklahoma on Friday. The Trojans couldn’t slow down an OU offense that hit 33 of 71 shots from the floor (46.5 percent) and connected on 12 three-pointers.
• The loss at OU marked just the third time in head coach Steve Shields’ tenure a UALR team allowed 100 points in a game. It was the first time a Trojan team has allowed 100 points in regulation under Shields.
• Senior Will Neighbour ranks in the top ten of the Sun Belt in scoring (18.3 ppg/8th), rebounding (7.7 rpg/5th), steals (1.5 spg - T-6th), FG percentage (58.3 percent/6th), 3FG percentage (50.0 percent/T-5th).
• Neighbour has reached double figures in scoring in six straight games to start the season, the longest streak for a UALR player to start a year since Solomon Bozeman opened the 2009-10 season with 11 straight.
• Sophomore Josh Hagins is averaging 16.3 points and 3.7 assists on 57.5 percent shooting from the floor and 58.5 percent from three-point range over UALR’s last three games.
• Entering his 11th season as head coach, Steve Shields ranks first among active Sun Belt coaches with 92 career conference wins and second in win percentage in conference play (.554).
• The Trojans’ 2013-14 slate features at least 12, and potentially 13 games against teams that played postseason basketball a year ago. The schedule features seven games against teams that earned bids to the 2013 NCAA Tournament, including matchups against No. 15/13 Florida and No. 21/19 Memphis.
• UALR’s 21 assists against Southern Arkansas were a season high and the most since it totaled 21 in an 88-76 win over FIU at home last season (1/12/13).
• The Trojans also established new season highs in points (90), field goals made (35), field goal percentage (57.4 percent), three-point field goals made (10), three-point percentage (55.6 percent), steals (11) and blocks (8) against the Muleriders.
• Since being outrebounded 41 to 29 in its season opener vs. North Florida, UALR is +9 on the boards and has held a rebounding edge in three of five games.
• UALR has pulled down an average of 11.5 offensive rebounds per game and holds an 86-to-71 advantage in second-chance points on the year.
• UALR ranks second in the Sun Belt Conference in free throw shooting percentage (75.0 percent).
• UALR is averaging 19.0 made free throws per game through three games this season, up from 15.7 per game a year ago, and has outscored its opponents at the FT line in four of six games.
• UALR went 31 of 42 (73.8 percent) from the foul line at Middle Tennessee (11/18). That was the most free throws made and attempted by a UALR team since it went 32 of 46 from the line against ULM on Feb. 4, 2012.
• Since failing to make a three-point shot at Middle Tennessee (0 of 11) for the first time since a 77-51 loss at Louisiana on Feb. 6, 2010, the Trojans have hit 25 of 57 shots (43.8 percent) from long range.
• Senior Will Neighbour is averaging 18.3 points (eighth in the Sun Belt Conference) and 7.7 rebounds (5th-SBC) while shooting 58.3 percent from the floor (6th-SBC), 50.0 percent from three-point range (T-5th-SBC) and 78.6 percent from the foul line (11th-SBC) this season.
• After shooting 41.3 percent from long range as a sophomore in 2011-12, Neighbour’s three-point shooting percentage dipped to 29.6 percent as a junior.
• Neighbour shot 81.5 percent from the foul line as a sophomore but hit just 68.6 percent of his foul shots as a junior. He is averaging 7.0 free throw attempts per game this season, up from an average of 3.0 per game over his first two seasons in Little Rock.
• Neighbour went 11 of 16 from the foul line at MT (11/18), setting new career highs for free throws made and attempted.
• Neighbour has reached double figures in scoring in each of UALR’s six games this season and now has 37 double-figure scoring games in his career.
• Neighbour’s 23-point, 14-rebound effort against Southern (11/22) gave him his eighth career double-double. UALR is 6-2 in those games.
• Sophomore Josh Hagins is averaging 16.3 points and 4.3 assists while shooting 57.5 percent from the floor (19 of 33) and 58.8 percent from three-point range (10 of 17) over his last three games.
• Hagins broke out of an early-season shooting slump with a career-best 19 points (7-12 FGs, 4-7 3FGs) at Southern (11/22) and followed it up with 18 points (7-8 FGs, 4-4 3FGs) and a career-best matching eight assists against Southern Arkansas (11/26).
• UALR is now 6-1 when Hagins finishes with five-plus assists.
• In UALR’s two wins, Hagins has either set or matched career highs for field goals made (7) and three-point field goals made (4).
• Hagins 12.2 ppg and 3.6 apg rank 16th and seventh, respectively, in the Sun Belt. His 11 treys are ninth-most in the league.
• Sophomore James White scored 16 points on 7-of-11 shooting with six rebounds vs. Southern Arkansas. UALR is now 10-2 when White reaches double digits in scoring.
• White blocked two shots at Southern. White has blocked two-plus shots in nine career games and UALR is 6-3 in those games.
• Sophomore Kemy Osse handed out a career-best four assists at Oklahoma while tying his career best in steals (3) against the Sooners.
• Will Neighbour is currently alone in ninth place on the Trojans’ career blocks list (60) and sits 10 blocks behind Jake Yancey (2000-03) for eighth place.
• Neighbour is 244 points away from becoming the 19th member of UALR’s 1,000-point club. He needs to average 10.2 points over UALR’s final 24 games to reach the mark by the end of the regular season.
• Neighbour is 76 rebounds away from reaching 500 for his career. Neighbour’s 225 boards a year ago were the most by a UALR player since Rashad Jones-Jennings (392) in the 2006-07 season.
• Junior Ben Dillard is a 42.6 percent career three-point shooter, putting him on pace to pass Alan Barksdale (41.1 percent) as the top three-point shooter in school history.
• Dillard’s career free-throw shooting percentage of 82.8 currently ranks fourth on UALR’s all-time list.
• UAFS is a perfect 6-0 on the season, having most recently topped South Dakota School of Mines and Technology by a final of 101-87 on Nov. 29.
• Seth Youngblood (16.8 ppg) leads four Lions averaging double figures in scoring. UAFS has seven players averaging at least 9.0 ppg.
• Head coach Josh Newman is in his eighth year as head coach of the Lions.
All-Time Against the Lions
• Tuesday night’s meeting will be the first between UALR and UAFS since the 1953-54 season, when UALR was known as Little Rock Junior College and UAFS was known as Fort Smith Junior College.
• UALR leads 7-2 in the all-time series, including an 88-45 win in the 1953-54 contest.
• The series dates as far back as the 1931-32 season, when Little Rock Junior College was in just its fifth year of existence.