LITTLE ROCK – UALR (13-15, 8-8 SBC) will be looking to avenge its loss from the first meeting when it hosts Arkansas State (17-9, 9-5 SBC) in the Farm Bureau Insurance Classic Saturday at 7 p.m. at the Jack Stephens Center. The Trojans are coming off a win at Troy on Thursday night that snapped a five-game winning streak and will be looking for its sixth win in the last seven meetings against ASU at the Jack Stephens Center.
UALR’s victory at Troy was the 100th Sun Belt win in the career of head coach Steve Shields, making him just the fifth coach in conference history to hit the milestone. UALR’s defense limited Troy to just 55 points and 17 made field goals, both season lows for a Trojan opponent, and forced the home team into 20 turnovers. Junior Ben Dillard led UALR with a career-best matching 18 points.
Tickets for Saturday’s game against Arkansas State are available through the UALR Ticket Office by calling 565-UALR or visiting UALRTrojans.com. Single-game tickets start as low as $7 for adults and $5 for children. UALR students receive free admission and a free soda and hot dog to all home games if they show a valid UALR Student ID.
Ticket booklets to this year's men's and women's basketball conference tournament in New Orleans are now on sale through the UALR Ticket Office. Total cost for each booklet will be $115. Each booklet contains eight general admission tickets for a total of eight sessions (session seven will be the women's championship and session eight will be the men's championship), and includes parking throughout the tournament, as well as a shuttle service to and from the UNO Lakefront Arena, Downtown New Orleans and Metairie hotels.
GM29 // UALR (13-15, 8-8 SBC) vs. Arkansas State (17-9, 9-5 SBC)
Saturday, March 1 • 7 PM (CST)
Little Rock, Ark. • Jack Stephens Center (5,600)
Twitter: @UALRathletics // @UALR_MBB
Radio: KABZ – 103.7 FM
Online Radio: TheBuzz1037.com
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP) & Bobby Vint (Analyst)
Live Stats: UALRTrojans.com
Live Video: UALRTrojans.com
SBC Record: 8-8
Head Coach: Steve Shields (11th year)
Record at UALR: 177-158
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Will Neighbour (16.3)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (7.0)
Assists: Josh Hagins (3.3)
Steals: Will Neighbour (1.3)
Blocks: Will Neighbour (1.1)
Arkansas State Red Wolves
SBC Record: 9-5
Head Coach: John Brady (6th year)
Record at Troy: 97-87
Career Record: 378-303 (23rd year)
Arkansas State Statistical Leaders
Points: Kirk Van Slyke (15.7)
Rebounds: Kendrick Washington (6.2)
Assists: Cameron Golden (2.7)
Steals: Ed Townsel (1.3)
Blocks: Kirk Van Slyke (1.1)
Series (Overall): ASU leads 48-29
Series (at UALR): UALR leads 18-11
Current Streak: ASU won 1
Last Meeting: 1/25/14 – ASU, 77-49
Shields Record vs. ASU: 11-13
• Arkansas State leads 48-29 in the all-time series against UALR. The Trojans lead 18-11 in games played in Little Rock, including wins in five of the last six.
• UALR snapped a five-game losing skid and improved to 13-15 overall and 8-8 in Sun Belt play with a 62-55 win over Troy on Thursday. The Trojans never trailed in the victory.
• The win gave head coach Steve Shields 100 career SBC victories, making him just the fifth coach in conference history (Kermit Davis, MT; Ronnie Arrow, USA; Gene Bartow, UAB; Dickey Nutt, ASU) to hit the milestone.
• The win also assures UALR of a bid to the Sun Belt Tournament in New Orleans, La., March 13-16.
• Junior Ben Dillard led UALR with a career-best matching 18 points (4-8 FGs, 2-5 3FGs, 8-8 FTs).
• UALR’s defense limited to Troy to just 55 points and 17 made field goals – both season lows for a UALR opponent.
• With the win, UALR finds itself in fifth place in the SBC standings, a half-game up on UT Arlington.
• Senior Will Neighbour, who did not play at Troy due to an injured shoulder, ranks in the top ten of the Sun Belt in scoring, rebounding, steals, blocks and 3-point percentage.
• Sophomore Josh Hagins is averaging 16.4 points, 6.6 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 2.0 steals over his last five games.
• Over the same span, Hagins has three games of 20+ points, 5+ rebounds and 5+ assists.
• Junior DeVonte Smith totaled six assists against zero turnovers at Troy and now boasts a 2.8 assist-to-turnover ratio in Sun Belt Conference play.
• UALR’s bench outscored Troy’s 22-6 and is now averaging 28.2 points over the last eight games.
• Now in his 11th year as head coach, Steve Shields ranks first among active Sun Belt coaches with 100 career league wins and second (among active coaches with more than one season of SBC experience with a .549 win percentage) in league play.