Courtesy of CareerAthletes.com
Kansas City, Kan. - The UALR Department of Athletics recently agreed to a multi-year partnership with Career Athletes. The partnership between Career Athletes and the UALR athletic department provides a national representation of unique networking opportunities and career development resources for current and alumni athletes.
UALR Director of Athletic Development, Chasse Conque stated, "We are excited about partnering with Career Athletes. This will be a beneficial partnership as we are committed to helping our current student-athletes with career networking and job opportunities after graduation. We look for this tool to help us increase participation among former lettermen and to continue to grow the Lettermen's Association."
This Online Career Community Network will provide benefits such as mentoring, professional networking, virtual career coaching and 12 years of best practices from the leading and largest career services organization assisting athletes, athletic departments and campus career centers. The UALR "Community Network" consists of current and alumni athletes from the institution as well as local, regional and national employers all managed and monitored by Career Athletes at its home office in the Kansas City area.
Individual members of Career Athletes are also able to network with over 65,000 former college athletes from across the nation while having access to over 5,000 career opportunities exclusive to www.careerathletes.com. All current and former Trojan student-athletes are encouraged to visit the Sign Up page and register for the free service.
DJ Washington at Career Athletes explains that beyond an athletic department's initiative assisting with career opportunities and educational resources; it also helps when there is already a foundation on campus toward academic success. "We are pleased to assist UALR Athletics with its commitment toward career development of athletes, but it is also just as important to recognize the program's culture of achievement in community service, academic performance and athletic success," shared Washington, Vice President, Career Education and Training. UALR is no stranger to success as evident by its assortment of achievements during the previous academic and athletic years:
- UALR boasts an 89% exhausted eligibility graduation rate for all full-time entering freshmen who remained at UALR and used four seasons of eligibility (the number is measured over a 10-year period).
- UALR student-athletes posted a cumulative GPA of 3.24 for the 2008-09 academic year, and have recorded a GPA of 3.0 or higher each of the past 10 years.
- Men's Basketball has been the Sun Belt Conference Division Champions four of the last 7 seasons, made 6 total postseason appearances, and has had 4 NBA Draft picks, including five-time NBA World Champion Derek Fisher.
- Women's Basketball has been the Sun Belt Conference Division Champions for the last three seasons, has had 4 consecutive 20+ win seasons, and made the school's first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 2010, advancing to the 2nd round with a win over Georgia Tech in the opening round.
- UALR's volleyball program has had four NCAA Tournament appearances and Coach Van Compton was honored as the Sun Belt's Conferences' 30-year anniversary All-Time Coach.
- Men and Women's Cross Country are both three-time Sun Belt Conference Champions, with the most recent wins occurring in 2007 and 2005, respectively.
- Women's Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field programs have been successful as well with 3 Conference titles for the indoor program and 1 conference championship in 1996 for outdoor.
- The Soccer program advanced to the Sun Belt Conference Tournament Championship game for the first time in school history in 2009, becoming the first number 8 seed in Sun Belt history to knock off the number 1 seed.
- The men's and women's Golf programs at UALR have been successful with 2 Sun Belt Conference Championships each. Each team has had 2 individual conference champions, Patrick Sullivan and Daniel Fox from the men, and Maria Jose Hurtado and Mallory Fraiche for the women.
UALR Athletics is prepared for another successful year both in the classroom and on the playing field!