GM21 // UALR (11-9, 5-4 SBC) at Western Kentucky (11-8, 5-3 SBC)
Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013 • 5 PM (CST)
Bowling Green, Ky. • E.A. Diddle Arena (7,326)
Television: ESPN3/ESPN Full Court
TV Talent: Randy Lee (PXP) & Hal Schmitt (Analyst)
Radio: KABZ - 103.7 FM
Online Radio: 1037TheBuzz.com
Radio Talent: Phil Elson (PXP)
Live Video: ESPN3.com
Live Stats: WKUSports.com
Series (Overall): WKU leads, 34-11
Series (at WKU): WKU leads, 3-18
Current Streak: UALR, 1 win
Last Meeting: 1/3/13 - UALR, 75-67
Shields Record vs. WKU: 5-11
2012-13 Record: 11-9
Road Record: 0-7
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 158-137
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Will Neighbour (11.2)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (6.9)
Assists: Josh Hagins (3.2)
Steals: Leroy Isler (1.7)
Blocks: James White (1.2)
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers
2012-13 Record: 11-8
Home Record: 8-1
Head Coach: Ray Harper (2nd year)
Record at WKU: 22-16
Career Record: 364-79 (14th year)
WKU Statistical Leaders
Points: TJ Price (14.6)
Rebounds: Brandon Harris (6.5)
Assists: Brandon Harris (2.5)
Steals: TJ Price (1.3)
Blocks: Teeng Akol (1.4)
• In terms of minutes played by class, UALR is the least-experienced team in the nation. Nine of UALR's top 11 players (by minutes played) are freshmen and sophomores.
• UALR has played the third-most games in the country (20) at this point in the season.
• UALR is 10-1 at home this season and 102-41 at home in the tenure of head coach Steve Shields.
• UALR is currently 0-7 on the road this season with one neutral court victory (SMU).
• UALR is second in the conference in free throws made (299), leads the league in free throws attempted (451) and is averaging 15.0 points per game from the foul line. UALR has attempted the seventh-most free throws in the nation.
• The Trojans currently rank second in the Sun Belt in both field goal percentage (.434) and three-point field goal percentage (.356).
• UALR is 10-1 on the season when holding opponents under 70 points and 1-8 when surrendering 70 or more.
• Under Shields, UALR is 137-54 when holding opponents below 70 points and 81-20 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• Junior Will Neighbour leads UALR in scoring (11.2 ppg) and rebounding (6.9 rpg). Those numbers increase to 11.8 ppg and 8.4 rpg in conference games.
More Quick Hits
• Freshman Josh Hagins is averaging 10.4 points, 5.4 assists and 2.8 steals per game while shooting 50.0 percent from the floor (20-of-40) since being inserted into the starting lineup vs. Western Kentucky (1/3/13).
• Sophomore Michael Javes is five blocks away from tying Jake Yancey (2000-03) for seventh place on UALR's all-time blocks list.
More Quick Hits
• Freshman Josh Hagins was named College Sports Madness' Sun Belt Player of the Week after averaging 10.5 points, 7.5 assists and 3.0 steals per game in UALR's wins over North Texas and FIU. Hagins shot 50 percent from the floor (8-of-16) and 80 percent from the foul line (4-of-5) in the wins.
• Hagins' eight assists vs. North Texas and seven assists vs. FIU are the two highest single-game assist totals of the season for a UALR player.
• Freshman Michael Javes scored a career-best 15 points in the Trojans' win over FIU on Saturday. A career 44.7 percent foul shooter, Javes went a perfect 5-of-5 from the foul line in the win.
• UALR is 5-1 (3-0 this season) when Javes scores 10+ points.
• Freshman James White averaged 15 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in UALR's two wins last week over North Texas and FIU.
• The Trojans are 8-1 when White goes for 10+ points in a game.
• Junior Will Neighbour's current SBC-games-only rankings: 16th in scoring (11.8 ppg), third in rebounding (8.4 rpg), 10th in blocks (8) and second in offensive boards (29/3.2 per game).
• Neighbour has led UALR in rebounding in seven-straight games entering Saturday's matchup with WKU.
• Freshman Kemy Osse has knocked down seven three pointers over UALR's last four games and is shooting 70.0 percent (7-10) from long range in that span.
• UALR put five players in double figures for the first time this season in its win over FIU (1/12/13). The Trojans are 7-1 under Shields when five players finish in double figures.
• As a team, UALR finished its two games vs. North Texas and FIU shooting better than 50 percent from the field, including a season best 59.2 percent (29-of-49) vs. the Panthers. The Trojans are 5-0 this season when finishing games shooting better than 50 percent from the floor.
• UALR currently ranks second in the Sun Belt Conference in offensive field goal percentage (43.4 percent). WKU ranks third at 42.7 percent.
• The Trojans averaged 19.5 assists per game in two wins last week, but were held to a season-low four assists at Middle Tennessee on Thursday. UALR's 21 assists vs. FIU (1/12/13) were a new season best.
• UALR currently ranks second in the Sun Belt with 13.0 assists per game.
• UALR ranks fourth in the league with 4.0 blocks per game.
Last Time Out
• Middle Tennessee topped UALR by an 82-50 final Thursday night at the Murphy Center in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• The Blue Raiders finished the game shooting 56.0 percent from the floor (28-of-50) and 64.3 percent from long range (9-of-14), both of which were season highs for a UALR opponent.
• Freshman Josh Hagins led UALR with 14 points on 5-of-9 shooting to go along with three assists and two steals. Classmate Kemy Osse scored 11 points and came up with three steals. Junior Will Neighbour led UALR with seven rebounds to go along with six points.
• The Blue Raiders' defense forced the Trojans into 19 turnovers and limited the Trojans to just 35.3 percent shooting from the field. Middle Tennessee also held UALR to a season-low four assists.
• Middle Tennessee won the battle of the boards, 37-to-25, and led in points in the paint, 28-to-20. The Blue Raiders handed out 23 assists on 28 made field goals.
About Western Kentucky
• Western Kentucky snapped a three-game losing streak with a 72-49 win over Louisiana-Lafayette Thursday night to improve to 11-8 overall and 5-3 in Sun Belt play. Brandon Harris (16) led four Hilltoppers in double figures.
• WKU ranks second in the conference in scoring defense (64.8 ppg) and boasts the third-best scoring margin (+2.6). Teams are shooting just 41.6 percent against WKU on the season from the field and just 32.0 percent from long range.
• The HIlltoppers have the second-best rebounding margin in the conference (+5.2) and average 38.5 rebounds per contest.
• T.J. Price (14.6 ppg) leads three Hilltoppers averaging double figures in scoring. Brandon Harris (6.5 rpg) paces a well-rounded rebounding effort, and Teeng Akol is fifth in the conference at 1.4 blocks per game.
All-Time Against the Hilltoppers
• Western Kentucky leads 34-11 in the all-time series with the Trojans, including 18-3 in games played in Bowling Green, Ky.
• The last time the teams met, UALR snapped an eight-game losing streak against the Hilltoppers with a 75-67 win at the Jack Stephens Center on Jan. 3, 2013.
• UALR finished the night shooting 48.1 percent from the floor (26-of-54), including 51.9 percent in the second half, and forced Western Kentucky into 22 turnovers.
• Junior Leroy Isler led three Trojans in double figures with 13 points, four rebounds and four steals. Sophomore Michael Javes scored 11 points on 5-of-9 shooting and sophomore Ben Dillard came off the bench to score 10 points, helped by a 2-of-3 effort from three-point range.
• Head coach Steve Shields is 5-11 all-time against Western Kentucky.