GM23 // UALR (13-9, 7-4 SBC) at North Texas (8-13, 3-7 SBC)
Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013 • 7 PM (CST)
Denton, Texas • The Super Pit (10,500)
Radio: KABZ - 103.7 FM
Online Radio: 1037TheBuzz.com
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP)
Live Video: MeanGreenSports.com
Live Stats: MeanGreenSports.com
Series (Overall): UALR leads, 17-9
Series (at NT): UALR leads, 6-3
Current Streak: UALR, 1 win
Last Meeting: 1/10/13 - NT, 67-53
Shields Record vs. NT: 10-7
2012-13 Record: 13-9
Road Record: 1-7
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 160-137
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Will Neighbour (11.6)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (6.9)
Assists: Josh Hagins (3.2)
Steals: Leroy Isler (1.6)
Blocks: Javes/White (1.1)
North Texas Mean Green
2012-13 Record: 8-13
Home Record: 5-5
Head Coach: Tony Benford (1st year)
Record at NT: 8-13
Career Record: Same
North Texas Statistical Leaders
Points: Tony Mitchell (14.1)
Rebounds: Tony Mitchell (8.5)
Assists: Chris Jones (5.0)
Steals: Chris Jones (2.2)
Blocks: Tony Mitchell (2.8)
• UALR had its biggest come-from-behind win of the Steve Shields era vs. FAU on Thursday, as the Trojans rallied from a 22-point deficit to defeat the Owls 65-62 at the Jack Stephens Center.
• The Trojans are now 11-1 at home this season and 103-41 at home since Shields took over in 2003.
• In terms of minutes played by class, UALR is the least-experienced team in the nation. Nine of UALR's top 11 players (by minutes played) are freshmen and sophomores.
• UALR has played the third-most games in the country (22) at this point in the season.
• The Trojans currently rank second in the Sun Belt in field goal percentage (.433) and third in three-point field goal percentage (.351).
• UALR is 12-1 on the season when holding opponents under 70 points and 1-8 when surrendering 70 or more.
• Under Shields, UALR is 139-54 when holding opponents below 70 points and 82-20 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• Shields is second among active coaches in career Sun Belt Conference wins (88). Middle Tennessee's Kermit Davis (107) ranks first.
• Junior Will Neighbour leads UALR in scoring (11.6 ppg) and rebounding (6.9 rpg). Those numbers increase to 12.6 ppg and 8.2 rpg in conference games.
• Freshman Josh Hagins is averaging 10.4 points, 5.0 assists, 2.6 rebounds and 2.4 steals per game while shooting 54.7 percent from the floor since being inserted into the starting lineup vs. Western Kentucky (1/3/13).
• Sophomore Michael Javes is one block shy of tying Jake Yancey (2000-03) for seventh place on UALR's all-time blocks list.
More Quick Hits
• Junior Will Neighbour recorded his sixth career double-double and fourth of the season with a career-high 24 points and 11 rebounds vs. FAU on Thursday.
• Neighbour has led UALR in scoring eight times this season and led the team in rebounding 14 times, including eight of the last nine contests.
• Neighbour's current SBC-games-only rankings: 17th in scoring (12.6 ppg), fourth in rebounding (8.2 rpg), 11th in blocks (10) and second in offensive boards (33/3.0 per game).
• With 23 blocks through 22 games this season, Neighbour is just three blocks shy of tying his season total (26) from a season ago. With 27 steals, he has already matched his season total for steals from last year.
• Over his last six games, freshman Kemy Osse is averaging 9.0 points and 3.3 rebounds while shooting 50 percent from the floor, 50 percent from three-point range and 84.6 percent from the FT line.
• Osse scored 12 points and grabbed a career-best seven boards for the second-straight game vs. FAU.
• Freshman Josh Hagins has reached double figures in scoring in five of his last six games, including consecutive 14-point nights at Middle Tennessee and WKU last week.
• Hagins has also dished out 5+ assists in four of UALR's last seven contests.
• Hagins was named College Sports Madness' Sun Belt Player of the Week on Jan. 14 after averaging 10.5 points, 7.5 assists and 3.0 steals per game in UALR's wins over North Texas and FIU. Hagins shot 50 percent from the floor (8-of-16) and 80 percent from the foul line (4-of-5) in the wins.
• In SBC-games-only, Hagins ranks fourth in the league in assists (3.8 apg), third in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.9) ninth in steals (1.6 spg) and ninth in three-point field goal percentage (39.4 percent).
• Hagins' eight assists vs. North Texas (1/10/13) and seven assists vs. FIU (1/12/13) are the two highest single-game assist totals of the season for a UALR player.
• Thursday's game against FAU was the first time all season UALR won despite having a lower field goal percentage than its opponent. FAU finished the game shooting 51.1 percent from the field.
• Thursday's win was also just the 10th of the Shields era in which a UALR opponent finished the game shooting better than 50 percent from the field.
• UALR put five players in double figures for the first time this season in its win over FIU (1/12/13). The Trojans are 7-1 under Shields when five players finish in double figures.
• UALR is 5-0 on the season when at least four Trojans finish in double figures.
• UALR currently ranks second in the Sun Belt Conference in offensive field goal percentage (43.3 percent).
• UALR currently ranks second in the Sun Belt with 12.7 assists per game.
• UALR ranks fourth in the league in both blocks (4.1) and steals (7.5) per game.
• The Trojans are 5-6 on the season when trailing at halftime.
Last Time Out
• UALR (13-9, 7-4 SBC) battled back from a 22-point first-half deficit to capture a 65-62 win over Florida Atlantic (10-11, 5-5 SBC) Thursday night at the Jack Stephens Center.
• The win improved the Trojans' home record to 11-1 on the season and keeps UALR in sole possession of first place in the Sun Belt's West Division.
• UALR finished the game +4 on the boards (32-to-28), and was able to force FAU into 16 turnovers. • The Owls finished the game shooting 51.1 percent from the floor (23-of-45), but UALR was able to make up for it by knocking down 24-of-31 free throws, while the Owls hit just 9-of-19.
• UALR tied its season high in free throws made (24) and blocked shots (7).
About North Texas
• The Mean Green are 8-13 overall and 3-7 in SBC play heading into Saturday's matchup with UALR.
• Most recently, North Texas dropped a 72-64 decision to Middle Tennessee at the Super Pit in Denton.
• Sun Belt Preseason Player of the Year Tony Mitchell leads North Texas in scoring (14.1 ppg) and rebounding (8.5 rpg), and leads the Sun Belt in blocks (2.8 bpg).
• The Mean Green are the top free throw shooting team in the league (71.9 percent), but are at the bottom of the conference in three-point shooting (25.8 percent).
All-Time Against the Mean Green
• UALR leads 17-9 in the all-time series against North Texas, including 6-3 in games played in Denton.
• Two weeks ago, the Trojans topped the Mean Green 67-53 at the Jack Stephens Center. Trailing 32-27 at the break, UALR outscored North Texas 40-to-21 over the final 20 minutes to earn the win.
• White led all scorers with 16 points on 7-of-12 shooting. Hagins chipped in 11 points on 5-of-9 shooting and garnered career bests in assists (8), steals (6) and blocks (2). Neighbour narrowly missed his fourth double-double of the season, finishing with nine points, 11 rebounds and a season-high three blocks.