GM28 // UALR (15-12, 9-7 SBC) at FIU (14-12, 9-8 SBC)
Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013 • 6:30 PM (CST)
Miami, Fla. • U.S. Century Bank Arena (5,000)
Radio: KHLR - 106.7 FM
Online Radio: Heartbeat1067.com
Radio Talent: Ray Tucker (PXP) & Pat Bradley (Analyst)
Live Video: FIUSports.com
Live Stats: FIUSports.com
2012-13 Record: 15-12
Road Record: 3-8
Head Coach: Steve Shields (10th year)
Record at UALR: 162-140
Career Record: Same
UALR Statistical Leaders
Points: Will Neighbour (10.9)
Rebounds: Will Neighbour (7.0)
Assists: Josh Hagins (3.0)
Steals: Leroy Isler (1.4)
Blocks: Michael Javes (1.1)
2012-13 Record: 14-12
Home Record: 9-3
Head Coach: Richard Pitino (1st year)
Record at FIU: 14-12
Career Record: Same
FIU Statistical Leaders
Points: Tymell Murphy (15.5)
Rebounds: Tymell Murphy (7.2)
Assists: Deric Hill (2.8)
Steals: Deric Hill (2.1)
Blocks: Tymell Murphy (1.2)
• The last time UALR and FIU squared off, the Trojans won 88-76 and recorded season highs FG% (59.2), FTM (24), FT% (85.7) and assists (21).
• After starting the season 0-7 on the road, UALR had won three-straight road games before falling at Arkansas State on Thursday, Feb. 14.
• The Trojans are 11-3 at home this season and 103-43 at home since Shields took over in 2003.
• In terms of minutes played by class, UALR is the least-experienced team in the nation. Nine of UALR's top 11 players (by minutes played) are freshmen and sophomores.
• UALR is 14-2 on the season when holding opponents under 70 points and 1-10 when surrendering 70 or more.
• Under Shields, UALR is 141-55 when holding opponents below 70 points and 83-20 when keeping opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field.
• Shields is second among active coaches in career SBC wins (90). Middle Tennessee's Kermit Davis (113) ranks first.
• Junior Will Neighbour leads UALR in scoring (10.9 ppg) and rebounding (7.0 rpg). Those numbers increase to 11.1 ppg and 7.9 rpg in conference games.
• Sophomore Michael Javes is a block away from moving into sole possession of sixth place on UALR's all-time blocks list. Javes and Gilbert Maxwell (1979-81) are currently tied with 75 blocks each.
• Freshman Josh Hagins is averaging 10.0 points, 3.3 assists, 2.7 rebounds and 1.3 steals on 48.7 percent shooting in Sun Belt Conference games this season.
• Sophomore Ben Dillard is shooting 53.6 percent from three-point range in SBC games this season and is perfect from long range over his last three games.
• UALR is 5-0 on the season when at least four Trojans finish in double figures.
• UALR currently ranks fifth in the Sun Belt Conference in offensive field goal percentage (42.7 percent) and third in three-point field goal percentage (35.8 percent).
• The Trojans rank fourth in the conference in defensive field goal percentage (42.0 percent) and fourth in defensive three-point field goal percentage (32.8 percent).
• Other current UALR ranks amongst SBC teams: third in assists (11.9 apg), fifth in assist-to-turnover ratio (0.8), fourth in blocks (3.8 bpg), sixth in steals (7.1 spg) and fifth in turnover margin (+1.1).
• The Trojans have won five games this season after trailing at halftime.
• UALR has finished even or better in points-in-the-paint in 11 of its last 13 games.
• UALR has already matched its season total for wins (15) from all of last season.
• In games won this season, UALR is averaging 14.1 assists per game, compared to 9.0 apg in its losses.
• The Trojans are averaging nearly five fewer turnovers per game in wins this season (13.2) than in losses (17.8).
• UALR is 11-1 this season when outscoring its opponent at the FT line.
• Junior Will Neighbour has led or tied for the team lead in rebounding in 13 of the last 14 games.
• Sophomore Michael Javes averaged 10.0 points and 2.0 blocks on 57.1 percent shooting in UALR's two games last week.
• Sophomore Gus Leeper scored a career-best 12 points and grabbed six rebounds in UALR's win at ULM (2/7/13). Leeper is shooting 81.0 percent from the foul line this season.
• Sophomore Ben Dillard is shooting 53.6 percent from three-point range in Sun Belt games. Dillard is shooting 75.0 percent from long range over his last five games.
• Junior Leroy Isler has at least one steal in 11 of his last 13 games.
• Freshman Josh Hagins' shooting numbers in conference play: 48.7 percent from the field, 38.8 percent from three-point range, 81.8 percent from the free throw line.
• Hagins has made at least one three pointer in eight-straight games and in 12 of his last 13.
• Freshman Kemy Osse has made a trey in five-straight games and is shooting 50.0 percent from three-point range (13-of-26) over his last 11 games.
Last Time Out
• UALR was able to trim its deficit to four with 1:17 left in regulation and pulled as close as three on a trey by Osse with four seconds left, but Middle Tennessee went 8-for-8 from the foul line over the final minute to hold on for the 66-61 victory Saturday night at the Jack Stephens Center.
• The loss was just UALR's third home defeat of the season, and marked just the second time this year UALR fell when holding its opponent below 70 points.
• The Trojans forced the Blue Raiders into 21 turnovers and limited Middle Tennessee to just 40.8 percent shooting from the field.
• UALR shot just 39.3 percent from the floor, committed 17 turnovers of its own and connected on just 59.1 percent of its foul shots (13-of-22). The Blue Raiders hit 24-of-29 free throws (82.8 percent).
• FIU comes into Thursday's game with a 14-12 overall record and a 9-8 mark in Sun Belt play. The Panthers snappped a two-game losing skid with a 87-82 win over WKU on Saturday, Feb. 16.
• The Panthers 70.2 points per game are good enough for third in the conference, while their 9.4 steals per game lead the league and rank 12th in the nation.
• Tymell Murphy leads FIU in scoring (15.5 ppg) and rebounding (7.2 rpg) and leads the Sun Belt with a 59.0 shooting percentage from the floor. Junior Malik Smith averages 13.9 ppg and leads the conference in three-pointers made (2.8 per game).
• Head coach Richard Pitino is in his first season with the Panthers.
All-Time Against the Panthers
• UALR has won three straight and leads 17-8 in the all-time series with FIU, including 7-5 in games played in Miami.
• The last time they met, UALR topped FIU 88-76 at the Jack Stephens Center in a game that saw the Trojans finish with five players in double figures and set or equal season highs in field goal percentage (59.2 percent), assists (21), made free throws (24) and free throw percentage (85.7 percent, 24-of-28).
• Neighbour and Javes led UALR with 15 points each. James White scored 14 points and Dillard and Hagins chipped in 11 and 10, respectively.
• The Trojans' 51 first-half points were the most UALR points scored in a half this season.
• Steve Shields is 10-5 all-time against FIU.